South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Book Recommendations Oct/Nov
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
ChildrenÂ’s Corner

I have been looking at some of the books available today for children and even preteens and there are so many good new authors. With Lemony Snicket’s Series of Unfortunate Events, Harry Potter, Philip Pullman and of course Jacqueline Wilson’s series, there’s so much available. I think the greats from the 70’s and 80’s are sometimes forgotten. These are the books I grew up with – books like Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys and Judy Blume who tackles every aspect of growing up, that all children including ourselves faced. So this time I am going to give a few recommendations which I have personally reread myself!

Starting with author Judy Blume who wrote her first books in 1970 with the Fudge series for the younger readers, to her first bestseller “Are you there God? It’s me Margaret”. This books deals the growing pains and changes of young girls, from buying their first bra to dealing with friendships and jealousy and having your first kiss. Never before had an author related so well to young girls and their problems. I remember Judy Blume as having a good understanding, that the characters seemed to be so much like me and went through the same things as I did. She shows what friendships are like at that age, and the awkwardness, the friendships and changes which are happening.

For boys there is the book “Then Again, Maybe I Won't” a real coming-of-age story, the trials and tribulations of adolescence; this books does include things like wet dreams, looking at girls in a new light, to dealing with a friend who shoplifts. This difficult subject she tackles with ease and the understanding of a 12/13 year old boy. I listened on the radio to an interview with the author and it was amazing to hear all the phone in calls from both male and female callers; all around the 30-40 age mark who all praised the author and thanked her for her great books and the understanding she had of what they went through – the questions, the highs and lows! Here is a list of all the books she has written – you can always have a look on the Amazon website and see the subject that each book deals with.

For the older reader of around 15/16 there is “Forever” which deals with ones first love and also a first sexual encounter! The pressures and feelings which a teenage girl would relate to – which are all so realistic. I cannot find a bad write-up on Judy Blume on any website!

Preteen and early teens (the ages recommended differ from book to book)
- Iggie's House (the first Black family moves into the street)
- Blubber (preteen teasing)
- Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret (changing and becoming a woman)
- Then Again, Maybe I Won't (being friends and changing friendships)
- It's Not the End of the World (explores divorce)
- Starring Sally J. Freedman As Herself (moving home to a new area and friendships)
- Deenie (having scoliosis, being different)
- Just As Long As We're Together (entering into high school, and all the usual teen problems)
- Here's to You, Rachel Robinson (continuation of the book above from one of the different characters in the book above)

The older teenager
- Tiger Eyes (death of a parent, facing loss and going through the emotions)
- Forever (first real love)

Fiction

"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger

Henry and Claire's story, they have known one another since Claire was 6 and Henry was 36, they were then married when Claire was 20 and Henry was 28. This is all made possible because Henry is the only person to be diagnosed with chrono-displacement-disorder which allows him to travel in time ! This is quite an original ideal and it is not the normal time travel book, but rather one which threads through it's pages a real love story. It is very difficult to get into the first third of the book, but then things start to make sense and it is becomes ‘oh so worth it’. An excellent read ! Highly recommended.

"Going Postal (Discworld S.)" byTerry Pratchett

Synopsis (from Amazon!)
Moist von Lipwig was a con artist and a fraud and a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's alling postal service back on its feet. It was a tough decision. But he's got to see that the mail gets though, come rain, hall, sleet, dogs, the Post Office Workers Friendly and Benevolent Society, the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, and a midnight killer. Getting a date with Adora Bell Dearheart would be nice, too. Maybe it'll take a criminal to succeed where honest men have failed, or maybe it's a death sentence either way. Or perhaps there's a shot at redemption in the mad world of the mail, waiting for a man who's prepared to push the envelope...

This was read by my other half on my behalf and seeing as he is a Terry Pratchett fanand we own nearly all the books, I thought I would get his take on this book. He says this is not Terry Pratchett at his best, but nevertheless the book is entertaining. Pratchett seems to be stalling on ideas, ingenuity and originality - if you compare this book to Guards! Guards!, Lords and Ladies and Interesting Times they are so much better.

:read: :read: :read:
I have read both the books you mention, and they are both really good books to read! :thumbs:

As for kids, I just bought them 2 new books each the toher day, I must go and check what they are, then I will get them to review them for me!! :thumbs: