South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: What broadband service provider UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We may be returning to the UK next year, and I wondered what service provider some of you may use for broadband and what advantages / costs to expect.

I looked on the web, and found that many of them offer high speed but with limited download capacity.

Is there a supplier that allows permanant connection and unlimited download at reasonable rates?

I am really spoilt in Germany have a 6 G connection and can surf unlimited unlimited downloads for 29.90 Euro per month.

From what I have read to date the BT guys have pretty much got a strangle hold on the UK market.

Comments appreciated please
jimswin Wrote:We may be returning to the UK next year, and I wondered what service provider some of you may use for broadband and what advantages / costs to expect.

I looked on the web, and found that many of them offer high speed but with limited download capacity.

Is there a supplier that allows permanant connection and unlimited download at reasonable rates?

I am really spoilt in Germany have a 6 G connection and can surf unlimited unlimited downloads for 29.90 Euro per month.

From what I have read to date the BT guys have pretty much got a strangle hold on the UK market.

Comments appreciated please
Jim
I had an e-mail from Wanadoo last night, they provide 8 G in certain areas ( not where I live yet...) for the same price as the 2 G I currently pay for.
I can always forward the info to you if you are interested.
I pay £27.99 per month, that includes the free modem and connection ...

PM me if you want more info or go to wanadoo's website.

Joan

:luck:
Thanks Joan,

The availability of broadband will also influence my descision of where we would settle on return ( after the schools for our girls, and commuting distance to work and jobs opportunities for Jillibeans ... not in these order... but you know what I mean)

Now some of our fellow Saffer Brits would say that Wannadoo is French Company!! :p and we should support local :innocent:
jimswin Wrote:Thanks Joan,

The availability of broadband will also influence my descision of where we would settle on return ( after the schools for our girls, and commuting distance to work and jobs opportunities for Jillibeans ... not in these order... but you know what I mean)

Now some of our fellow Saffer Brits would say that Wannadoo is French Company!! :p and we should support local :innocent:
We all belong to the EU do we not.... :crylol:
AOL and BT do not seem to provide good services, there are others, more expensive I think, but then again, NTL may be a good option...

I looked at NTL as well, but must invest more time... they seem to offer these Combination deals with cable TV and free telephone calls, which all look good, but as being as we have been away from UK since 2001, I really dont want to launch into a 12 month contrct for things we dont need.

I still have some time, so will research all and make a decision before we arrive.

Thanks for the help.

About the EU thing.... Yessss I believe you :crylol:
jimswin Wrote:I looked at NTL as well, but must invest more time... they seem to offer these Combination deals with cable TV and free telephone calls, which all look good, but as being as we have been away from UK since 2001, I really dont want to launch into a 12 month contrct for things we dont need.

I still have some time, so will research all and make a decision before we arrive.

Thanks for the help.

About the EU thing.... Yessss I believe you :crylol:
Wanadoo and BT all offer the same deals.....

:woof:
Jim, We are with BT at the moment and have been for nearly 2 years. There were one or two little problems to begin with but once these were sorted out its been trouble free. Because we got Broadband before the introudction of capping we are on unlimited downloads etc. At present we are running 3 machnes and our Broadband actually goes through a smoothwall. Because of the business we are in we have come across loads of different broadband suppliers and AOL are probably the worst when it come to reliability and sorting it out initial problems NTL are also pretty bad unrealiable as well. NTL only over cable/broadband and its not a good way to go. Another service provider is PIPEX previously we were with them and were very happy with all round service from them.

Good Luck

We may be returning to the UK next year, and I wondered what service provider some of you may use for broadband and what advantages / costs to expect.

Comments appreciated please[/QUOTE]
Tiscali are not bad. They have a base package at £14.99 for 1mb uncapped, £17.99 gets you 2mb,
£20 and they throw in local and national phone calls as well.
They operate a "fair use" policy, which means they can "throttle" the very high band width users at peak times.
angelbabe Wrote:http://niftylist.co.uk/broadband.html#
I am with Wanadoo, used to be Freeserve and I do not pay £17.99 pm

If you look at what they offer at that price, it is not what I am getting.
I have forgotten which broadband service provider is rated the best, but I can always find out if you are interested Jim.

This is what I pay:

£27.99 2048 KB 30GB