South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Ancestry visa may be removed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nothing is certain yet, it may be an idea for those interested, to keep a watchful eye on the news. If you are elegible and considering immigration to the UK, it may be worth applying early to keep your options open.

UK Ancestry visa could be scrapped

Wed, 26 Oct 2005

An overhaul of British immigration rules could end the traditional entry and settlement rights of Commonwealth citizens with British relatives, a newspaper said on Wednesday.

The Times daily said that Britain's new points-based immigration system could end a scheme whereby Commonwealth citizens with a British grandparent are allowed to enter and settle in Britain.

People from Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Canada and Zimbabwe are the most likely to be affected.
This is most interesting and will certainly affect a number of people
I really hope they wait awhile before they stop Ancestrial visa's as my son who has been working in the U.K for 18 months on a 2 year Working holiday visa, is going back to S.A in a couple of weeks time to apply for an Ancestrial visa, that will give him another 4 years in the counrty. We are hoping that it all goes well and that they do grant him his Ancestrial visa. He loves it here and has got alot going for him here.
They are planning to move to a points system and it would be imagined that ancestry would be taken into consideration. The problem however arises in that too many people are abusing the system once arriving here and immigration needs tightening up. Once again,those who are deserving suffer as a result of a few.
The interesting bit is whether or not people already in the UK on an AV will be affected. I wrote to the Home Office about this, asking what developments were expected - how do you plan your future if you could be obliged to leave 18 months down the line? No reply as yet.
alvonhumb Wrote:The interesting bit is whether or not people already in the UK on an AV will be affected. I wrote to the Home Office about this, asking what developments were expected - how do you plan your future if you could be obliged to leave 18 months down the line? No reply as yet.

Alvon, this affect new applications for ancestral visa's. Those already here on an ancestral visa will still be able to carry on as normal.
mcamp,

That's what I believe too. But where did you establish this fact from? I haven't seen any official word on this.
alvonhumb Wrote:mcamp,

That's what I believe too. But where did you establish this fact from? I haven't seen any official word on this.

From the article

The Times daily said that Britain's new points-based immigration system could end a scheme whereby Commonwealth citizens with a British grandparent are allowed to enter and settle in Britain.

You have already entered Britian on ancestral visa terms. They are thinking of now giving ancestral visas in the future, so this doesn't affect your current status.

This is based on how other laws have been applied in the past.
Just a note to say my son has just phoned me to say he has got his visa. Thank goodness, so he is able to come back for another 4 years now. He said there were no questions asked just took all his paperwork and came back to him a short while later and said he had it. What a relief.
Until new legislation receives Royal Assent and a Statutory Instrument brings the amendments into force, there will be no change. Any amendments are extremely unlikely to be made retrospective. (Human rights implications etc.)