South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Hello - 2006 !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is wishing EVERYONE a happy New Year !!!

Hope that we can read some books together again this year -

Did anyone get any new books for Christmas ?

I got Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

"Oh my. I don't think I've ever seen anything so cute in my life." Thus author Grogan's wife sealed their fate when they "just went to look" at a litter of Labrador retriever puppies and ended up picking out Marley. Maybe their first clue should have been that the breeder had discounted the price on their puppy, or when they saw his father charging out of the woods covered in mud with a crazed but joyous look in his eye. Despite these portents, Marley entered their lives, and nothing was ever the same again. Between careening through screen doors and swallowing everything that would fit in his mouth, Marley also managed to comfort these two when they miscarried their first child. Although Marley got kicked out of obedience training after he dragged the instructor across the parking lot and terrorized his pet sitter, he also landed a minor role in a straight-to-video movie. Marley, incorrigible though he was, had inserted himself into the author's life in a way no normal dog could. A warm, friendly -memoir-with-dog.

And Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

Curtis Sittenfeld's poignant and occassionally angst-ridden debut novel Prep is the story of Lee Fiora, a South Bend, Indiana, teenager who wins a scholarship to the prestigious Ault school, an East Coast institution where "money was everywhere on campus, but it was usually invisible." As we follow Lee through boarding school, we witness firsthand the triumphs and tragedies that shape our heroine's coming-of-age. Yet while Sittenfeld may be a skilled storyteller, her real gift lies in her ability to expertly give voice to what is often described as the most alienating period in a young person's life: high school.

True to its genre, Prep is filled with boarding school stereotypes--from the alienated gay student to the picture perfect blond girl; the achingly earnest first-year English teacher and the dreamy star basketball player who never mentions the fact that he's Jewish. Lee's status as an outsider is further affirmed after her parents drive 18 hours in their beat-up Datsun to attend Parent's Weekend, where most of the kids "got trashed and ended up skinny-dipping in the indoor pool" at their parents' fancy hotel. Yet even as the weekend deteriorates into disaster and ends with a heartbreaking slap across the face, Sittenfeld never blames or excuses anyone; rather, she simply incorporates the experience into Lee's sense of self. ("How was I supposed to understand, when I applied at the age of thirteen, that you have your whole life to leave your family?")

By the time Lee graduates from Ault, some readers may tire of her constant worrying and self-doubting obsessions. However, every time we feel close to giving up on her, Sittenfeld reels us back in and makes us root for Lee. In doing so, perhaps we are rooting for every high school student who's ever wanted nothing more than to belong.

Both quite different - found them all on an American bestseller site - and wanted something different.

Icecub

Hi,

Same to u Nikkinaz...

I got Sharon Osbourne's book - Extremes...very good, i loved it and was so engrossed in it until i finished it....good life story....

Got The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, simply as i did not manage to get to the end of the story when i was in std 1, as our teacher used to read a chapter to us - but she ran out of time....so i read it and then saw the movie...

The i read Memoirs of a Geisha...so stunning.....
So i got some more books on Amazon this week, another book by a Geisha, Gloria Hunnifords's book on her daughter Caron and Goodbye Dearest Holly....

I think this yr i might be delving into more autobiographies.....i love reading about other ppl's lives...and hopefully will learn something about them......
Starting off with light reads then delving into heavier biographies.... :read: :read:
Icecub, I highly recommend A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell. If you can ignore what the press had to say before they even saw it and if you can read it as if you don't know the people, it is a brilliant book :luck: :read:
Ceece Wrote:Icecub, I highly recommend A Royal Duty by Paul Burrell. If you can ignore what the press had to say before they even saw it and if you can read it as if you don't know the people, it is a brilliant book :luck: :read:

I had read this when I was out in SA earlier last year as I had finished my book and had nothing else to read. I was sceptical at first but thought it was brilliant!!! I loved reading all about the Royal family rules and regulations and the behind the scenes in the palaces...

I recommend it! :read:

Icecub

Ta Ceece and Strawbs..will def then get the book ...buy it on Amazon so i can resell it... :rofl: :rofl: i taped a programme last night on royal staff and their secrets... :rofl:
Today I bought the following: Sleeping Around by Julie Highmore; Mrs. Fytton's Country Life; Ursula, Downunder by Ingrid Hill; and The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Safon.

I am keen to get Memoirs of A Geisha before I see the movie.... :thumbs:

Icecub

Pampered Wrote:I am keen to get Memoirs of A Geisha before I see the movie.... :thumbs:

a good book, they even had a documentary on the geisha life last week on tv..very good... :thumbs:
Icecub Wrote:Hi,

Same to u Nikkinaz...

I got Sharon Osbourne's book - Extremes...very good, i loved it and was so engrossed in it until i finished it....good life story....

Got The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, simply as i did not manage to get to the end of the story when i was in std 1, as our teacher used to read a chapter to us - but she ran out of time....so i read it and then saw the movie...

The i read Memoirs of a Geisha...so stunning.....
So i got some more books on Amazon this week, another book by a Geisha, Gloria Hunnifords's book on her daughter Caron and Goodbye Dearest Holly....

I think this yr i might be delving into more autobiographies.....i love reading about other ppl's lives...and hopefully will learn something about them......
Starting off with light reads then delving into heavier biographies.... :read: :read:

Thanks Icecub Smile - nice books you got there, I have also been reading a few autobiographies in between other books and two I picked up on from the SA forums are both books about woman and living with a Fatwa. (Muslim death threat). These are stories which make your hair stand on end - and feel so utterly disgusted how they are being treated in parts of the Middle East !!! Actually I am not sure I want to read anymore cause it makes me quite miserable too.

I want to read Sharon Osborne's book too - sounds interesting and she has certainly had a colourful life so far.
Pampered Wrote:Today I bought the following: Sleeping Around by Julie Highmore; Mrs. Fytton's Country Life; Ursula, Downunder by Ingrid Hill; and The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Safon.

I am keen to get Memoirs of A Geisha before I see the movie.... :thumbs:

Hey Pam - The Shadow of the Wind is an excellent book - hope you enjoy it.

I have not read Memoirs of a Geisha - they say the movie is a little different to the book, so I guess better to read the book first. Smile

Icecub

nikkinaz Wrote:Thanks Icecub Smile - nice books you got there, I have also been reading a few autobiographies in between other books and two I picked up on from the SA forums are both books about woman and living with a Fatwa. (Muslim death threat). These are stories which make your hair stand on end - and feel so utterly disgusted how they are being treated in parts of the Middle East !!! Actually I am not sure I want to read anymore cause it makes me quite miserable too.

I want to read Sharon Osborne's book too - sounds interesting and she has certainly had a colourful life so far.

yes they do make your hair stand on end, as i got several books regarding also living under the taliban...makes us eternally grateful for living in the kind of society we have today, not wondering if our feet are sticking out, or any part of our body for fear of getting whipped, not lekker... Confusedad:

i seem to go thru phases of reading of different cultures, i have now read of middle eastern culture and their lives, have now read several books on the Geisha culture in Japan, now just the movie to see then i guess i will be moving onto another country... :p