South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Neville charged over goal salute
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Manchester United defender Gary Neville has been charged by the Football Association with improper conduct.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football...650532.stm

whereas on a number of occasions footie players behave like absolute idiots, when are the authorities going to clamp down on spectators who behave in a despicable manner towards players.

all very well simply taking the players money but they too have a responsibility to the players

baah humbug .. stay off the ice
I have seen far worse and nothing has transpired!

They are saying that it is based on the referees report - sorry but as an ex-referee am I missing something here??

If the referee did see it, then why did he not take any action on the field - the laws of the game cover "ungentlemanly conduct" - if he did not see it, then he cannot say anything about it and it would be up to others - did he shirk his responsibility during the game?
:rofl: I absolutely LOVED Neville's celebration....and Wayne Rooney's for that matter.

They were getting incredible stick from the Scousers the whole game....so what better way to give it back??? For United to score a last minute goal....classic!!!

I don't care if he gets charged by the FA(although I don't believe he should)....his celebration will be worth any ban or fine!!! Wink
I was at the game (where that smug icon LOL!) and it was absolutely no big deal.

Listening to some Liverpool fans on the radio afterwards I just wanted to laugh. They were SOOO offended.

These were the same fans who had been mocking George Best during their songs earlier. Makes you wanna puke (to coin a phrase).

Any punishment handed out to Neville will make Cantona's 9 month community service for the kung-fu kick look like a complete token gesture.
Ade Wrote:I was at the game (where that smug icon LOL!) and it was absolutely no big deal.

Listening to some Liverpool fans on the radio afterwards I just wanted to laugh. They were SOOO offended.

These were the same fans who had been mocking George Best during their songs earlier. Makes you wanna puke (to coin a phrase).

Any punishment handed out to Neville will make Cantona's 9 month community service for the kung-fu kick look like a complete token gesture.

To be fair Ade....if the boot was on the other foot ie. Liverpool had scored a last minute winner and some Liverpool players had celebrated in a similar vein, there's no doubt some Man United fans would have been on the radio offended. It happens.....
I'm just glad it went the way it did!!

However it's a passionate sport.....Gary Neville cares enormously about United and his team had just scored a last minute winner...his celebration reflected that.

I wouldn't want them to take this away from the sport.....it would deprive us of some of the magic!!!