South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Firstborns and family placement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Studies seem to show that firstborn children are more driven to succeed, whereas lasborns are more laidback. Do you find this to be true... where do you fit in your family and do you think this has affected your personality?

I'm the middle of 3 children and I see myself as more laidback (not driven at all!) I also have 3 and my first is a very sensible child, although not too focussed. My second two are more lighthearted and easy-going... What is your experience?

Icecub

I am the oldest of four girls....and yes i have felt i have been pressured to be the ultimate example in behaviour etc....but it has paid off as they always come to me if they are experiencing problems etc...and somehow they respect me as i do not butt into their affairs, i tend to keep my distance if there is strife in the midst...i always give advice but never take sides...they even think twice about telling me certain things as they know it upsets me....

My second oldest sister and I were brought up very strictly, but Mom let down the reigns with the two youngest and they got away with murder.... :crylol: which we resented but have gotten over it.....

So in my experience i am the serious one of the lot, taking responsibility for them - even being here i still get phoned and asked about stuff....it tends to weigh heavily on my shoulders....no wonder i am Aquarius... :rofl:
I am an only child myself and funny enough I think i have all the qualities, when I set my mind to it I can be driven to success, but most of the time I am just laid back, and just dont worry about things.

But when i look at my moms sisters, her eldest sister is very controlling and all the other sisters(4) look up to her, they always go to her for advise, and my mom who was the youngest one, was the most fun, she was still a child at heart upt o the day she died at 30.

So I think you are right.
:cloud9:
I am the middle of three children too...My older sister i very driven, and everything must be just so....

My younger brother is very laidback, lazy and expects the whole world to jump for him...

I on the other hand feel I can be driven when I want to be, and laidback when I want to be....a good balance of both.. Big Grin
2nd born of 2 ..

I tried to ice skate that either makes TheDuck driven or insane

:beg:
I think that is very true. I am the oldest of two (girls). I am more of a 'stresshead'. Constantly setting personal and professional goals and targets whereas the younger sister is a bit of a floater, free spirit and not a care in the world. Would like to have a lot of her qualities but then there would be no 'nerd' in the family!
my younger brother was spoilt , lazy , U/S , a problem-child and difficult teenager , never got to matric even ;
but , the Luck still always was on his side , and so it remains :
he married well , receives lotsa help and stands to benefit from inheritance , so there you have it :
who ever claimed that Life was Fair ?
Very interesting thread !! :thumbs:

I am the ' :babyroll: ' of the family - two older sisters, then my brother (who passed away some 4 yrs ago) and then me.

My brother, being the only son - was spoilt, and me being the youngest was always said to be spoilt the most - and it's true !! Never even had a hiding in my life !!!

My two sisters are 12 and 8 years older than me - so they started working when I was still in Primary - and even they spoilt me with loads of love, affection, clothes, etc.

But I guess I didn't turn out too bad - I'm a free spirit and a bit eccentric, that's true - but whenever something comes up - I'm the level-headed one, have lots of patience and my sisters usually phones me for help or guidance - and I tend to be the one who 'mothers' them.

So the family placements do get reversed some of the time ......
my brother has also never gotten a hiding in his life....spoilt rotten...my mom still buys his smokes and stuf..and he is 28 :yikes:

Ditto Almitra on your last comment...my sister usually also phones to moan, and just wants moral support...
How does it work with twins???

:innocent:

:berry: