South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The City of one's birth
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I still have family in Somerset West and Ronderbosch.

Just spotted this website. I recognize most of the user names, it is just like a carbon copy of Voetsek, where I used to hang out. Great looking website.

Icecub

John01 Wrote:I still have family in Somerset West and Ronderbosch.

Just spotted this website. I recognize most of the user names, it is just like a carbon copy of Voetsek, where I used to hang out. Great looking website.

hello...and welcome.... Confusedurfing: Confusedurfing:
Jillibeans Wrote:I was born in Durban, and lived there for about four years then moved around the country abit but lived in Natal Midlands most of my life so I would say Durban holds nothing for me but the Natal Midlands yes.

Jim was born in Solihull, UK, left there at 5 yrs of age for Strand SA, live there and did all his schooling there so I would say that would probably be a place very close to his heart.

Yup, I must say that the Cape and particularly Strand and Somerset West still hold a big chunk of my heart.

I' ve been very fortunate over the years in being able to travel the world:thumbs:, but the Strand will always be special to me.
I was born in Christiana - Wes Transvaal. My perants moved a lot (thye were teachers), but after school I lived in Pretoria for 15 years, so I would say Pretoria is my hometown Big Grin Blush Now I am a new Canadian for the past six years, my famyly is still in SA.
I was born in Johannesburg but grew up in Vryheid all my life until we moved to England. However, we went to Cape Town every year to visit my mums family.
Now a days I am more keen on going back to Cape Town than Vryheid. Yes, Vryheid is were I grew and was my hometown but if I ever move back to SA it would most certainly not be Vryheid but rather Cape Town area.
jimswin Wrote:Yup, I must say that the Cape and particularly Strand and Somerset West still hold a big chunk of my heart.

I' ve been very fortunate over the years in being able to travel the world:thumbs:, but the Strand will always be special to me.

We Somerset Westers give you our support (Somerset West ) and sympathy. Smile (Strand) Although we do admit we like the beach! What was the old saying, put a big roof over the Strand and .....
John01 Wrote:What was the old saying, put a big roof over the Strand and .....

I don't know the saying, unfortunately - what would this be ??
"old" saying kind of gives the game away. Smile
I was born in Kraaifontein, a small town wedged between Durbanville and Bellville in the Western Cape. Our one and only claim to fame was that we could see both the Taal Monument in Paarl and Table Mountain from the high points in the town (read bridges...).

I never fit in there - was too English for an Afrikaans town, and must admit that I was happy to leave. Now that I have lived up here for so long I find I do not really fit in with South Africans back home. I go back less and less and only to see my mom.

My heart is now here in Europe, though not necessarily tied to Ireland.
John01 Wrote:"old" saying kind of gives the game away. Smile

Ohh?? :duh:

Know the old saying 'most snobs are living in..........'
:rofl:
Pages: 1 2 3 4