South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: South African Fish Suppliers based in the UK
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Shellsbells

Does anyone know where South African fish such as Snoek, Kingklip, Prawns, Calamari can be supplied from? I was thinking of being based in the UK.

Thanks
Cheffie will come on later after work tonight

will send him this link, I am sure he has an idea

:donald:

quack

:woof:
mmmm i can do with some nice snoek on the braai.
i am not sure where its based but i think you can buy snoek off one of the SA shops online but not sure
rugbyfairy Wrote:mmmm i can do with some nice snoek on the braai.
i am not sure where its based but i think you can buy snoek off one of the SA shops online but not sure

Sounds fishy to me. (it's ok to groan)
Shellsbells Wrote:Does anyone know where South African fish such as Snoek, Kingklip, Prawns, Calamari can be supplied from? I was thinking of being based in the UK.

Thanks

Hi Shells

Firstly some questions back to you:
Do you want commercial or domestic supplies of fish?

What are the quantities of seafood required?

Do you require fresh or frozen?

Do you require delivery?

Are price points an option?

Snoek - the only alternative to this would be AUSTRALIAN Barracouta as Snoek is still not legally imported into the UK

Kingklip - the local equivalent is Scottish Black Ling - unfortunately the local Ruby or Pink Ling (being identical to Kingklip) isn't always available.

Prawns - depending on what prawns you're referring to, Madagascar marine prawns are readily available over here in Tiger/ King/ Queen varieties. I'd recommend the Penaeus Indicus species (White Tiger) and depending on their grading (count per kilo) their price varies quite significantly.

Calamari - whilst having sample a fair range of calamari from different corners, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Loligo Opalescens species. When you try this, you'll understand that the Ilex Argentinus doesn't hold a candle to it Wink

I realise that some people will wonder the reasons for the Latin names.. should your local fishmonger be any good then he'll be able to source these specific products for you.

Please shout for any further advice as I will gladly assist where needed.

Thanks for the heads up Duckie - I'd personally bribe Shellsbells to cook you some seafood on your next visit over here for your troubles if I were you... on a braai Big Grin

Rugby fairy.. As mentioned before, chance would be a fine thing. Unless its coming over in Diplomatic pouch or friends luggage, on a commercial basis it's HIGHLY unlikely Wink

Shellsbells

Thanks for the response everyone!

Cheffie you have been a wonderful help! Im asking all these questions on behalf of a friend so bare with me! Bit dim when it comes to this sort of lark! ha ha

To answer you questions:-

It would be for commercial use

Not sure about the fresh or frozen - what do you usually do?

Yep, would require delivery

What are price points? - (told you I was doff!)

Thanks cheffie
Shellsbells Wrote:To answer you questions:-

It would be for commercial use

Not sure about the fresh or frozen - what do you usually do?

Yep, would require delivery

What are price points? - (told you I was doff!)

Thanks cheffie

Hi Shells

When you say commercial use, is it for distribution purposes or is it for restaurant/ catering purposes.

Depending on your requirements the seafood can be:
a. Value-added:- portion controlled, frozen IQF(indiv. quick frozen) or with Glaze
b. Value-added:- fresh, portion controlled etc
c. Fresh - whole
and so the list goes on.

Delivery: Would you require door to door/ next day/ daily/ weekly etc?

Price points are the pounds in pence per kilo/ unit that determines whether you will purchase the product. ie, is it worthwhile importing/ ordering the product/ is it saleable/ is there a good profit margin on it etc?

If you want me to chat with you or your friend, the PM facility can be utilised and discussed further Smile
G
Cheffie Wrote:Hi Shells
If you want me to chat with you or your friend, the PM facility can be utilised and discussed further Smile
G

Hi Shells

Not heard anything yet regarding your plans etc.

Are you looking to import yourself? A friend import and you distribute? Are you the end user?

What kinda storage/ distribution facilities do you have access to? Have you spoken with the Dept of Agric?

So many questions LOL

Let me know at your convenience
G
Sainsburys have had kingklip and advertised as such from time to time.
Snoek used to be imported to uk during WW2 so why is it now not legally imported??

Are baby calamari legs available here
conp Wrote:Sainsburys have had kingklip and advertised as such from time to time.
Snoek used to be imported to uk during WW2 so why is it now not legally imported??

Are baby calamari legs available here

A large number of supermarkets and wholesalers are sourcing in Kingklip and Cape Hake. A word of caution for the kingklip - check that it hasn't been frozen before.

The food regulations have changed somewhat since WW2 - (H.A.C.C.P.) is pretty much throughout the EU and the costs of getting certified are somewhat exhorbitant related to the Rand price per indiv. Snoek.

Baby Calamari is normally sold with legs here, though I have yet to see them sold 'fresh and individually'.