South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The Da Vinci Code - plagiarism
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
mcamp999 Wrote:Did The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown, a good work of fiction!!
What do you think about the case brought against him for plagiarism??

I liked the book till about one quarter from the end, it became drawn out I thought...
I hear this has been going on for quite a while already and that he won the first court case ..

interesting stuff this

The Matrix movie makers were taken to court about using a young students story .. must look up the link to that one again
TheDuck Wrote:I hear this has been going on for quite a while already and that he won the first court case ..

interesting stuff this

The Matrix movie makers were taken to court about using a young students story .. must look up the link to that one again

From the internet..........
October 05, 2004
'Da Vinci Code' Plagiarism Lawsuits
A writer named Lewis Perdue wrote a novel in 1983 entitled The Da Vinci Legacy, in which a hero and heroine embark on a quest to solve a mystery, written in blood on the body of a dead man who has left behind a golden key. (scanning news article) ... painting ... sacred feminine ... Catholic Church rocked to its very foundations ... see here! This is sounding darned familiar. (There's more, but head here to see a lengthy list of similarities.) Anyway, Mr. Perdue was miffed to begin with - and said as much, publicly - but it was probably nothing compared to the aftermath of being hit with a lawsuit by Dan Brown's legal team. (For? Complaining?) Perdue says he's more than willing to counter sue and get to court.

As if that wasn't juicy enough: Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh, two of three authors of Holy Blood, Holy Grail are suing Random House, claiming that Brown lifted the entire architecture of The Code from their 1983 non-fiction work. My favorite quote:

"We are being lumped in with Dan Brown's work of fiction and that degrades the historical implication of our material," Baigent said. "It makes our work far easier to dismiss as a farrago of nonsense."
Nice to see someone else call That Book fiction.
Hmmm, I wonder in whose favour this will go. Not sure what Dan Brown did, but the themes in his book will be found in others research and books - these stories and ideas surely have been around for years. So is it a case of others peoples envy at his huge success over the last year or so ???!!!