South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The Rock Trivia Thread...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What was the first Rock 'n' Roll record to earn "gold" status?
I would think that it must be from the 50's.......... Taking a wild guess here.

"Rock around the clock" by Bill Hayley & the Comets???
Curio Wrote:I would think that it must be from the 50's.......... Taking a wild guess here.

"Rock around the clock" by Bill Hayley & the Comets???

Sorry, got distracted...

Perhaps Elvis may be a clue Smile
There are so many Elvis songs but will have a guess at "Blue Suede Shoes"
Heartbreak Hotel Smile 1956
ditto Dudette
I suppose that I should let you know that it was:

Hard Headed Woman (#1 6/30/58 Billboard), by Elvis Presley was the first rock and roll gold record. It was actually the fourth single of any genre to achieve gold status (i.e. $1 000 000 in sales) after Pat Boone, Gordon Macrae and Lauri London, but still the first rock and roll record to sell that quantity. There's a record for the record books.

Jumping to the 60's Smile

In 1963 Jan and Dean released "Linda" (#28 4/20/63 Billboard). Who was this song written for?
Jangar Wrote:I suppose that I should let you know that it was:

Hard Headed Woman (#1 6/30/58 Billboard), by Elvis Presley was the first rock and roll gold record. It was actually the fourth single of any genre to achieve gold status (i.e. $1 000 000 in sales) after Pat Boone, Gordon Macrae and Lauri London, but still the first rock and roll record to sell that quantity. There's a record for the record books.

Jumping to the 60's Smile

In 1963 Jan and Dean released "Linda" (#28 4/20/63 Billboard). Who was this song written for?

Linda McCartney nee Eastman....you're probably going to correct me so I'll say Linda Eastman
penelope Wrote:Linda McCartney nee Eastman....you're probably going to correct me so I'll say Linda Eastman

:thumbs:

"Linda" was written for entertainment lawyer Lee Eastman's daughter Linda. Little Linda eventually became a groupie, a photographer and the wife of Paul McCartney. And it carries on for another page about her which I won't type / bore you with.

Jumping to the 70's now:

Who was "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" from Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album written for?
Jangar Wrote:Who was "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" from Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here album written for?

Syd Barrett ??