South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Please add your Travel Tips here.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Here are some of mine to start with:

Firstly, " When in Rome, do as the Romans do" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make photo copies of passport, flight tickets, etc, and leave in main luggage. This helps when hand luggage, with all documents in, is lost or stolen.

I wrap all things in bottles (glass or plastic) or in containers that could leak, in plastic carrier bags.

Never travel without my old plastic film container, with two needles and cotton in.

My wash kit (without scissor or razor now days), and a clean pair of socks and undies is always in my hand luggage. When/ if ones luggage is lost, you can at least have a shower after your long flight, and freshen up. Before you start the war of trying to track and wait for your luggage. Or wait for the shops etc to open (especialy if it is a Sunday like happened to a mate in Aberdeen), before you can get you insurance claim approved and shop. And make sure your luggage is marked/labled !!!

Make sure your passport has not already expired, or will while you are away on your trip.

If you have a UK type driver licence, take that other folder with you if you are intending on hiring a car. As some countries require that to confirm you have no pints on your licence, to keep your rate cheap. In the UK they will/can call to confirm this, but it will cost 5 - 2 pounds.

In the shark travel insurance game, there are some policies (in the small print), that only pay you out when you return home. You are expected to fit the bills and claim with proof of expenses on return. Make your sure your insurance pays you out wherever you are traveling to.
Where possible try to take on hand luggage only.

When travelling in large cities in Italy, wear jeans and keep your money in the front pocket (virtually pickpocketer proof).

Do not wear a camera around your neck in any city. Leave that for game reserves and cruises.

Wear comfy shoes for sightseeing (amazing how many people forget this one).
Remember to leave all the details of your holiday and numbers of hotels etc with someone at home. (lots of people forget that!)
Always make a note off you Credit Card cancellation numbers, and if you are traveling for a while,or in some out of the way place, fold up some US$ between some card board,waterproof by laminating and hide it in your shoe,between the insert and the sole is the best place,
if you have more than one Credit card, only take one with you,and leave the other at home, however make a note of the numbers,on the spare card and hide them somewhere, other shoe always works for me,but simple code them,ie first number up second down etc, it has made life so much easer when i have done something silly like getting all my stuff scaled!
Quote:Originally posted by Lance
Always make a note off you Credit Card cansalation numbers, and if you are traverling for a while,or in some out of the way place, fold up some US$ between some card bourd,waterpofe by laminating and hide it in your shoe,between the insert and the sole is the best place,
if you have more than one Credit card, only take one with you,and leave the other at home, however make a note of the numbers,on the spair card and hide them somwere, other shoe always works for me,but simple code them,ie first number up second down etc, it has made life so much easer when i have done somthing silly like getting all my stuff scaled!

To all those ladies accompanying this dear poster:

Have no fear - you do not need to pack the English/ Egyptian concise dictionary. He does in fact speak very well in real life and you should have no problem in understanding what he is saying Big Grin

Though if you do take him to Egypt and he does start deciphering the walls... Be afraid!

Very afraid! :haha:
Take out travel insurance.

Sure you are only going for a week and you are never ill, you've had your flu jab and are sure you had a tetanus in 1943 (or was it 41?) so should be fine.

Pal No. 1 - three visits to an Algerian doctor suffering with Dehli belly, admitted to hospital overnight due to dehydration, add drugs, fluids etc etc, total bill just under £900 (more than the cost of the holiday). Oops no insurance "though it was part of the EU"

Pal No. 2 - injured in minor 'fender bender' in NYC while on a shopping weekend, small gash to the forehead. 36 hours in hospital, a CT scan, drugs, cost of changing flights home etc. etc., total bill, enough to buy a small house in Cornwall. Ding-dong, no insurance "I was only going for the weekend"

There are something like 300 medi-vacs a year to the UK from various places, most are paid for by travel insurance, but some of the poor souls are not insured and we are talking mega bucks to be flown home (or to be repatriated if the very worst happens).

Travel insurance may seem expensive, but it can be a damn sight cheaper than the medical bills if you do get ill.

And, don't just buy a cheap policy, buy a good one.
Quote:Originally posted by PomBok
Take out travel insurance.

Wifey made sure we have taken out travel insurance for Perhe Duck for the weekend of the braai.

Smile

ps. perhe = family

Icecub

What the Cub family does..we take an annual travel policy and insurance from Thomas Cook..that way we need not worry whenever we travel as we know we are covered.....Smile

and also if going by car anywhere...we take out an AA policy.....Smile

Icecub

http://tips4trips.com/

I like this tip!!!

Straws for Packing Necklaces - When packing your necklaces, place each one in a straw, by threading one end of the necklace through, and clasping it closed. This prevents the necklace from tangling up. This has saved many minutes from having to untangle the necklaces after arriving at the destination. (Use longer straws for longer necklaces, and cut the straw to exactly half the length of the necklace, for shorter ones.
Remember to take your mobile company's customer nr with you when travelling abroad...so should it get pinched or lost you can cancel your contract! Got friend that got his stolen and the thief made many calls! :mad:
Pages: 1 2