South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Bat out of Hell - An album discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
my fav track is I'd do anything for love but i wont do that
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
It's a great album (I've got the CD) but my favourite track is "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth." It's probably my favourite as I can picture Meatloaf performing that particular song at the concert at Standard Bank Arena in Jo'burg. The female vocalist was on rollerskates & the two of them really bopped, as did the audience. I must add that I think Meatloaf is the best "live" artist I've seen. He had a HUGE blow up bat rise out of the floor while he sang "Bat Out of Hell". It must've been about 5 storeys high, had glowing eyes & was breathing fire. I get goosebumps just remembering! Big Grin

Thanx for the goosebumps Venus :p

I caught the show in Durban and will remember that finale till the day that I die. I particularly loved his show for the song "Making Love by the Dashboard Light" where the female vocalist starts throwing stuff (plates, et al.) at him and hits him over the head...

I know the one backing singer (the stunning one) was his daughter and I suspect the other one was Ellen Foley though I am not sure of that. Will try and find out though.
Chickie, that is a great song but not on this particular album that we are discussing. "I'd Do Anything for Love" is from Bat Out of Hell II.

Jan, I remember that well too. I thoroughly enjoyed that whole concert.

The artist who illustrates all the Meatloaf covers, Michael Whelan, is one of my favourite fantasy artists. He also does the art/illustration on many fantasy & science-fiction books. Here is the link to his website: http://www.michaelwhelan.com/
Two out of three ain't bad...is my favourite. I think the lyrics is great. I want you I want you I need you I need you but their ain't no way I am ever gonna love you.....

I think it is very well written and there is a lot of people that could associate with it.. I know I did
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
It's a great album (I've got the CD) but my favourite track is "You Took The Words Right Out Of My Mouth." It's probably my favourite as I can picture Meatloaf performing that particular song at the concert at Standard Bank Arena in Jo'burg. The female vocalist was on rollerskates & the two of them really bopped, as did the audience. I must add that I think Meatloaf is the best "live" artist I've seen. He had a HUGE blow up bat rise out of the floor while he sang "Bat Out of Hell". It must've been about 5 storeys high, had glowing eyes & was breathing fire. I get goosebumps just remembering! Big Grin

Hey, I went to see him there too! Big Grin

Loved it! and listen to his music all the time! my favourite is "heaven can wait" & "Paradise by the dashboard light"

Big Grin
i like both albums. bat out of hell I & II.

saw him life in concert and was amazed how someone that big could move so energetically. absolutely great concert.

picanin

Aggggg no man! This is one of the best albums ever - not just my opinion but sales figures back this up. I really thought we would have some juicy discussion here!
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Aggggg no man! This is one of the best albums ever - not just my opinion but sales figures back this up. I really thought we would have some juicy discussion here!

To quote the great Meatloaf (or is it Meat Loaf ? (please vote in my poll...)) "Baby we can talk all night, but baby that is getting us nowhere..."

Seems as if everyone seems to think this is a great album so not much discussion going on...

Now here is a question to everyone, to which I admit I don't know the answer...

Who did the talking bit on "You took the words right out of my mouth" ?

Or we can compare this to his latest album "Couldn't have said it better" and how this lacks Jim Steinman's talent (Sorry but I am a huge Jim Steinman fan)

Or we can chat about the (possibly) up coming "Bat out of Hell 3" album and how it will compare to this classic...

The only I don't want for these album threads to do is to get technical, i.e. Do you think Todd's Stratocaster on track X sounds better than his ghettoblaster on track Y... Smile

jonahaka

This was the first album I ever bought. Ah yes, it brings back memories. Mostly good too. Favourite song, all of them except the slow ones. But then I don't like slow music - life's too short. Paradise is my favourite, it's bouncy, has a little 50's to it, and reminds me of my mis-spent youth. Lyrically Bat out of Hell (the song) is supreme. And this more or less brings me to the crux of the matter. It is Jim Steinman that makes this album. Meatloaf has an amazing voice, very clear and rich and lyrical. But the stuff he has done without Steinman have been mediocre. Jim Steinman is like Michael Schumacher, able to lift a good thing out of anything. Bonnie Tyler and even Air Supply have done their best work with him.
Quote:Originally posted by picanin

Okay, you start! :p
Pages: 1 2 3 4