South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Week 16's Trivial Pursuit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What country was the first to establish a retirement-age social security program?
Oh Dear,

No takers. I guess that means I get to start the week off with a :cheer: Big Grin

The answer is:

Germany in 1889. German chancellor Otto von Bismarck implemented it, setting 70 as the age for retirement benefits. The age was lowered to 65 in 1916.

What plucky heavyweight boxer inspired Sylvester Stallone to write the screenplay for the 1976 Oscar-winning film Rocky?
Rocky Marciona?
Chuck Wepner
dudette Wrote:Chuck Wepner

:thumbs:

Stallone wrote the screenplay in three days after watching the televised 15-round bout between overmatched underdog Wepner and heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali in 1975.

What is the origion of the phrase to "read the riot act"?
Is it that the "bobbies" in Britain read a prescribed proclamation (the riot act) before they could break up a crowd or make arrests???
Curio Wrote:Is it that the "bobbies" in Britain read a prescribed proclamation (the riot act) before they could break up a crowd or make arrests???

:thumbs:

It dates back to England's Riot Act of 1715, which required any unruly gathering of 12 or more to disperse within an hour of being read a portion of the act, or be guilty of a felony. The act was repealed in 1973.

How many countries border China?
I think it is completely surrounded by Russia except by sea, so 1.
16 countries

Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma (Myanmar), India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau
nataliiie Wrote:16 countries

Afghanistan, Bhutan, Burma (Myanmar), India, Kazakhstan, North Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russia, Tajikistan, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Macau

:mmm:

The answer I have is 14...

They haven't included Hong Kong and Macau. And for those that remember, my globe is rather old so we can't trust that :haha:

The only other country sharing a common border with 14 other countries is Russia.

On what famous American writer's life is Herman Wouk's novel Youngblood Hawke based?
Pages: 1 2