South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Making photos smaller
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I still do not know how to make my photos smaller...

Can anyone please explain to me in the most simplest of terms?

:duh: :luck: :duh:
Joan,

Do you need to make the pixel size smaller (i.e. the actual picture on the screen) or the physical (i.e. file size, for uploading, sending as an email, etc) size ?

There are some programs that do both. Which photo editing program are you using ?
Jangar Wrote:Joan,

Do you need to make the pixel size smaller (i.e. the actual picture on the screen) or the physical (i.e. file size, for uploading, sending as an email, etc) size ?

There are some programs that do both. Which photo editing program are you using ?
Jangar
I need to make them smaller for sending by e-mail...
I do not use a photo editing programme...???

I just download the photos from the smartcard (?) (removable disk) into a folder...

Does that make any sense?
I suppose less than when Danny types!

:p
Joan Wrote:Jangar
I need to make them smaller for sending by e-mail...
I do not use a photo editing programme...???

I just download the photos from the smartcard (?) (removable disk) into a folder...

Does that make any sense?
I suppose less than when Danny types!

:p

Makes a lot of sense Joan Smile

The program I use for that is called Jpeg Optimizer and you can find it here
Jangar Wrote:Makes a lot of sense Joan Smile

The program I use for that is called Jpeg Optimizer and you can find it here
Thank you Jangar!

Confusedpring:

standup

hey thanks for that jpeg link, i was facing same problems with huge photo files!! Smile
Joan Wrote:I still do not know how to make my photos smaller...

Can anyone please explain to me in the most simplest of terms?
Hi Joan
The question is ambiguous because "smaller" can mean more than 1 thing.

I know Jangar has provided a solution, I just thought a bit of backgrouond might be useful.

In your case you want the picture to take up less disk space (i.e. to be a smaller no. of kilobytes).
Using photo editing software, when you save a picture as a JPeG you can usually set the compression value. Less compression will give you a larger file with better quality. More compression will give you a smaller file with not so good quality. The size of the picture when viewed remains the same.

I use something called Easy Thumbnails, which which you can resize (both file size and image size) a lot of pictures in one go. Very useful when you make a website with thumbnails, when clicked on you see the full size picture.