South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Children and court
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was so proud of my little boys yesterday; they were interview by an advocate and physiologist.

Ross was a little angel, was so confident and assured of himself, I saw him in such a different light and realized that he will be okay through everything.

James was dressed to the nines and all he wanted to do was be in a proper courtroom, so he was a bit disappointed about how the proceedings actually took place, the court didnÂ’t have an interpreter so he will have to go through the whole process again which I am happier about as he has been so betrayed by it all, at least this way he is feeling a bit better.

Actually was so proud of the little ones, but after seeing all the other children there I think it should be mandatory that before people have children they should get a license and spend a couple of days with the Family Advocate – it sure is an eye opener.
Well good for you and well done for your little ones. The system in the UK is slightly different, in that children dont appear in family proceedings. The Courts here appoint a 'Welfare Officer' who over a period of months interview children at home, speak to their schools and other relevant parties. The welfare officer then prepare a 'Section 7 Report' for the Courts, on which a Judge bases his decision.

This process is a lot more child friendly and protects them from the stresses associated with proceedings.

But I agree with you, before having children, people should be more aware of legal and social aspects relating to children. It is a pitty that in many cases relationship breakdowns cant be resolved ammicably and that little souls should be torn apart by it all.
Quote:Originally posted by MissQtoe
Well good for you and well done for your little ones. The system in the UK is slightly different, in that children dont appear in family proceedings. The Courts here appoint a 'Welfare Officer' who over a period of months interview children at home, speak to their schools and other relevant parties. The welfare officer then prepare a 'Section 7 Report' for the Courts, on which a Judge bases his decision.

This process is a lot more child friendly and protects them from the stresses associated with proceedings.

But I agree with you, before having children, people should be more aware of legal and social aspects relating to children. It is a pitty that in many cases relationship breakdowns cant be resolved ammicably and that little souls should be torn apart by it all.

It's actually similar then, children don't appear in court but are interviewed by the family advocate and a psychologist in a seperate room.

In my situation a bit different as we have also applied for some legal stuff, but from now on the court has appointed people to look at the children their schooling and other activities – so quite similar, not stressful for the children at all in fact I think they quite enjoyed themselves.
Hope your two boys are doing ok ZF & I can bet how proud of them you must've been.

:thumbs: Smile
Quote:Originally posted by curio
Hope your two boys are doing ok ZF & I can bet how proud of them you must've been.

:thumbs: Smile

Ta ma

sue w

When we were at the family advocates the environment was very relaxed and comfortable. Although it was in the courthouse building you would never have known as it was a totally different atmosphere. Pity the family advocates themselves were a bunch of idiots.......:mad: