South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Cooking @ The Cape Cookery school
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all

As some of you might know, I have been asked to host a cookery school on Sundays in Little Chalfont, Buckinghamshire.
Course prices and available dates will be posted later on, along with website details etc.

Course objectives:

'A wide range of courses are available to suit most aspiring cooks and people with an interest in food.
Making cookery more accessible to those with a little flair and a dose of passion and hopefully reducing the fear factor for people in the kitchen.
Celebrating the seasons with a classical approach and contemporary influences whilst concentrating on regional and enticing exotic produce.
The courses are designed with a hands-on approach to be a little more interactive and hopefully inspire you to develop your palate in a fun and exciting way.
From the basics of filleting a fish to the more intricate art of pastry work, Grant and his team will lead you through the courses smoothly and efficiently.
Knife skills, cooking methods, tips4cooks, equipment recommendations, suppliers and a host of other insider information will be available to the attendees.

Some of the courses offered include:

Fish and shellfish
Seafood master class – white fish/ game fish cookery
Couples Cooking
Men in the kitchen
Entertaining at home
BBQ including South African potjiekos
Meat and poultry
Basic cookery – German/ Italian/ Portuguese/ South African/ Classic French/ British
Venison and game
Vegetarian
Sauces, stocks and soups

There will be opportunities for some people to come and spend the evening working and observing service in a busy, high volume kitchen.'

As it's a new business, it'll take a little time to set up and finalise all the details. Thought I'd give the locals a heads-up Wink

Many thanks to all who responded in the thread about motivation for attending a cookery school.
G
eish... do we get aprons? :rofl:
Spacegirl Wrote:eish... do we get aprons? :rofl:

Knowing how messy you will get.. I think it's prudent Wink

Though I'm not sure if seeing you holding a knife would inspire or terrify...
Big Grin
Details and more Details please. Depending on price and time I would definetly like to try it out!

TracyW

Would love to come too .... bit far for me though!
lols Wrote:Details and more Details please. Depending on price and time I would definetly like to try it out!

Hi lols

As soon as details are finalised, I'll post all the relevant stuff.

It's located at the 'Cape etc' premises which is next door to Chalfont & Latimer station (Metropolitan line or Chiltern Railways) with easy access to and from central London.

Tracy... I'm sure when you see the course details for the seafood classes you'll be tempted Wink
LOL
TracyW Wrote:Would love to come too .... bit far for me though!

:bigcry: that's my problem too!

Can we do it by webcam??? :crylol:
Cheffie Wrote:Knowing how messy you will get.. I think it's prudent Wink

Though I'm not sure if seeing you holding a knife would inspire or terrify...
Big Grin

eish... where is your faith in me? I have stopped eating my bitchflakes with sour milk and am practicing (not very well yet) meditation! I enjoy amazing times with my brit okie so I am as cool as a cucumber and well chilled out!!! :cloud9:

Now I fancy mastering a few dishes... and to be frank I would LOVE a course on how to freeze food! No jokes... I figure I am rather good at planning but pathetic at cooking...so if I make in bulk and freeze kewl.. only I dont know things like what can you freeze and for how long, how do you blanche (sp) veggies as I have a market on my doorstep but am constantly chucking out vrot veg!

I also fancy making a roast... never ever done one. I have improved - I now make babootie (sp) and my lasagne got the thumbs up the other day! Turning into quite the domestic goddess!

I still want an apron! ;-)
Strawbs Wrote::bigcry: that's my problem too!

Can we do it by webcam??? :crylol:

Funny you should mention that. It was part of the original discussion and ideas..

Maybe just maybe there'll be something available Wink

Space,
You're going to learn to go shopping (frequently) and cooking a la minute Wink

Bulk cooking can be done but having fresh is preferable. Cooking from scratch might be therapeutic too..

TracyW

Cheffie Wrote:Hi lols

As soon as details are finalised, I'll post all the relevant stuff.

It's located at the 'Cape etc' premises which is next door to Chalfont & Latimer station (Metropolitan line or Chiltern Railways) with easy access to and from central London.

Tracy... I'm sure when you see the course details for the seafood classes you'll be tempted Wink
LOL

Okay ... go on then... tempt me. :p seriously, will see how viable it is for me, would really love to do it.
Pages: 1 2