South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: frozen food (or the Jamie Oliver effect)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How many chefs out there, and I use the term lightly (not you cheffie) make use of the frozen food companys and the ready meals?

Since I have been working for one such company (not one of the biggies) I findit hard to go out and enjoy a meal as I know the restaurants have bought the meals from us.

How difficult can it be to put rice in a pot, or chop a few veg or heaven forbid cook a steak? I find it really disturbing. And the fact these people have the audactiy to complain over the slightest thing. There are times where I just want to say learn how to cook, but I don't.

I have found one place near me that actually cooks from fresh and I don't mind paying the prices (OK so the bloke is French and the only thing ready made is the ice).

I have a prob paying £9 upwards for a 'microwave from frozen to table' lasagne or some such and that you have to wait upto 30 minutes for it.

I understand that cooking from scratch for over 60 covers (a lot down my neck of the woods) isn't easy but trying wouldn't hurt.

These people give proper chefs a bad name, and I think I might end up talking myself out of a job, I'd rather have good, well prepared, cooked food than microwaved. Afterall if ready meals aren't good enough for me at home why should they be when I go out?
lol gwasi

our Resident Chef is a great fan of Sir Jamie

Wink
Our restaurant here gets its soup in ready made, and things like potato chips ready peeled and cut. What I don't like about this is that the deliveries (including meat and fish products) are usually made very early in the morning (just after 7am) and the stuff will sit out in the sun until after 10 before it is taken in. I just don't think that can be healthy in any way, shape or form.
Bushbaby Wrote:What I don't like about this is that the deliveries (including meat and fish products) are usually made very early in the morning (just after 7am) and the stuff will sit out in the sun until after 10 before it is taken in. I just don't think that can be healthy in any way, shape or form.

Speak to your supplier and ask them to deliver at a certain time. To have it sitting outside is a food safety issue. Even so your supplier should not drop goods off without anyone there to sign for them.
If you have a surprise audit (and they do happen) you will fail if the inspectors see food sitting in the warm and on the ground. Its a perfect ground for bacteria to start growing.

I had an STS audit this week (for hospitals and schools supplies) and we had one box in our freezer off a pallet and it was noted.

Our drivers know not to leave stuff out of freezers or on the ground - they end up losing money if it defrosts or gets contamintated.
Check that your place is up to date with the new HACCP regs (1st Jan this year). It should all be there explaining everything for you. As well as an updated COSHH folder. If not ask the guys who supply you with cleaning agents to send you the safety data sheets.

You can also ask to take the temprature of frozen goods when they arrive, as long as its with a calibrated probe and the food has not been removed from the truck. It should be at -18 degrees with a 3 degree either way.
Sorry - should have explained - the Jamie Oliver effect has highlighted the amount of places that cook from frozen. After all JO wouldn't do that......would he :p
Gordon Ramsay has also highlighted it.

TracyW

I would prefer paying more, going to a place that has a smaller menu knowing that it is food cooked from scratch. My one local does horrid food - as you say all frozen stuff, the other which is a drive away does the greatest fresh food. I would rather drive and not drink to have the better food ... obviously ... :p
TheDuck Wrote:lol gwasi

our Resident Chef is a great fan of Sir Jamie

Wink

:haha:

I do truly want to develop a lithp and get gongged by the queen whilst making piles of dosh Wink

Gwasi..

You'll find that mostly it's the chains that do this as a cost saving mechanism - be it pubs or restaurant groups.

There is nothing to beat fresh... but you need the skills to execute it. With the industry in turmoil and lack of fresh blood coming through, it's a double-edged sword for the managed-pub operator who has to meet certain GP levels with an 'acceptable' level of food service.

I do enjoy meeting the odd young chef (in their late teens/ early twenties) who are proud to be Head Chefs... in a fecking branded pub!
A night of basic service in the kitchens and they're amazed what you can do! Fascinating!!!

Seasonal, fresh food is the way to go, coupled with regional produce. Though I'm not going to stop ordering exotics Wink

BB.. though you're in Dublin, I'd check with your local EHO about the policies. We've had a massive change locally since Jan 06.
Cheffie Wrote::haha:

You'll find that mostly it's the chains that do this as a cost saving mechanism - be it pubs or restaurant groups.

Sorry Cheffie but I have to disagree with you there. Here its everyone, bar the odd one or two. All the hotels ( even the reputable ones), pubs, clubs, schools, hospitals, hotels, B&B's. Yes its a cost thing but what has happened to pride.

The chains rarely deal with us as they have their own supplier.

When I was back home fro xmas the food was great. You can taste the difference. Cooked well, presented well and tasted devine. Plus a steak that was cooked to the way I liked it.

The EU are busy 'cooking' up some new regs for us all to follow. Oh and beware - packaging waste tax will be filtering it's way down to hotels,pubs and others soon. Nightmare in the most sense.
gwasi Wrote:Sorry Cheffie but I have to disagree with you there. Here its everyone, bar the odd one or two. All the hotels ( even the reputable ones), pubs, clubs, schools, hospitals, hotels, B&B's. Yes its a cost thing but what has happened to pride.

The chains rarely deal with us as they have their own supplier.

When I was back home fro xmas the food was great. You can taste the difference. Cooked well, presented well and tasted devine. Plus a steak that was cooked to the way I liked it.

The EU are busy 'cooking' up some new regs for us all to follow. Oh and beware - packaging waste tax will be filtering it's way down to hotels,pubs and others soon. Nightmare in the most sense.

Hi Gwasi

I don't dispute the various hotels etc, but perhaps the problem lies within the 'accountant-hotelier-restaurant owner's' make up.
Cost is the single factor - be it food/ labour or rent and to get a healthy bottom line, the ways of scrimping and saving often fall to the F&B department, instead of streamlining the upper management.

Whilst sous-vide cooking is the future for many, I agree that eating freshly prepared foods makes the world of difference.

Some places only order in the 'value added' foods for staff meals - another huge (apparent) cost saving.

The EU effectively rule us anyways Wink so theres no great surprise there ITO regulations.