South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: My puppy's hurt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
My puppy was so happy last night running and jumping around. I picked her up and put her on the bed but she wanted to get down and play some more. Before I could put her on the ground she jumped right out of my hands and landed funny on her hind leg. She's really a tough little thing so when she gave a little cry I knew she'd hurt herself. She wouldn't walk on that leg after that. When she did put weight on it I noticed that she would fall over as if the leg just gave out on her.

I took her to her vet and she needs surgery. I was upset at this news and have taken her to another vet for a second opinion and he says the same thing. The tendon, to which the patella is attached, and runs the length of the leg, has totally come off and is sitting on the inside of her leg.

I got home and have stretched the leg out and put the tendon back where it should be and am keeping it there with a splint and bandage hoping it will stay but I know it probably won't.

I'm really afraid. She's so tiny. I guess my fear is that something happens to her while she's under anaesthetic.

There is an orthopaedic vet in town and I'm seriously considering taking her there. Trouble is, he can't see me till next week.

Please say a prayer for Lexi.
Oh no!!! The poor little thing.

Give her a gentle love from us. I hope she gets better soon.
Toktokkie

we had a pup when we were in SA....we had only had her home about 2 days....my daughter was holding her, and before she knew it the pup had jumped out of her hands and landed on the hard kitchen floor.

she made the most awful crying noises....I took her straight to the vets and she had to be operated on. Her leg was broken and had to be put into a cast....

She turned in to the most beautiful/healthy German Shepard......it was heart breaking to see her in the splint...but there was a happy ending Big Grin

Hope your puppy is ok, and makes a full recovery!!
Thank you Lols and Suep for your concern. Lexi was a year old Jan 22 so I suppose she's not really considered a puppy any longer. She just seems like a puppy to me because of her size. She only weighs almost 2.5 lbs (1 kg).

I was told today that weak knees are common in poodles and that she should have the surgery done on both knees since the tendons in both hind legs move off "track" too easily.
When this happens, it causes stress on the knee joints and when she gets on in years she will have serious knee problems due to this problem.
They will go in and carve deeper grooves in the leg bones above and below the knee so that the tendons and patella's (knee caps)stay in place. They will also tighten the outer tendons that attach on either side of the the problem tendons for added protection.

Suep, it was encouraging to read that your dog made a full recovery after leg surgery. Did that leg ever give your dog any problems again at any time afterwards?
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Thank you Lols and Suep for your concern. Lexi was a year old Jan 22 so I suppose she's not really considered a puppy any .

Suep, it was encouraging to read that your dog made a full recovery after leg surgery. Did that leg ever give your dog any problems again at any time afterwards?

Toktokkie........she had no problems after the surgery....the only problem we had was trying to keep the splint dry!!!! We had to keep it in a plastic bag!!!!
Thanks. Good to know that.
Hi Toktokkie. I'm so sorry to hear this. You must feel dreadful! Sad

My Maltese had exactly the same thing happen back in SA. She had an operation where they fixed the tendon perfectly & within a day or so she was running around on the leg without a care in the world. I believe that it is relatively simple to fix. Hang in there & give your baby lots of love & spoiling! Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Venus
Hi Toktokkie. I'm so sorry to hear this. You must feel dreadful! Sad

My Maltese had exactly the same thing happen back in SA. She had an operation where they fixed the tendon perfectly & within a day or so she was running around on the leg without a care in the world. I believe that it is relatively simple to fix. Hang in there & give your baby lots of love & spoiling! Smile

Thank you for your story, Venus. This makes me feel a lot better, hearing from someone who's been through the exact same thing.
The vet must have thought me such a wimp, crying over a simple procedure. I blamed myself and did feel dreadful.
Thanks again.
Believe me, I cried buckets when it happened to my little doggy too! You're not a wimp, simply a person who loves your dog! Smile
Get the surgery doen A.S.A.P. !!!

I've had numerous tendon problems since I was born but thanx to surgery NO MORE !!!! Big Grin

So if it works on humans surely it must work on other mammals too Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4