South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: my pc drives me mad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am so tired of having problems with my computer. I wish I could get a new one but for now will have to do with what I've got. It's so frustrating when the screen freezes & I have to reboot & start all over again. Sometimes my pc is fine & behaves rather well, other times it gives me so many problems that I just want to cry & give up.
I do regular maintenance checks & have anti virus.

Just venting some of my anger & frustrations right now. Sad :mad:

Hope all you Globalbuzzers are keeping well.

Bye for now.
Shame, Curio. It's really frustrating when that happens...hubby spent the whole day yesterday trying to do a presentation, and his laptop decided to give him a hard time too. He was doing his nut he was so frustrated.

You have my sympathy!!
Welcome to the wonderful world of M$ Window$ :mad:

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Welcome to the wonderful world of M$ Window$ :mad:

I just porchased me a 160gig drive and a RAID card as I suspect my now overfull 80gig drive is about to expire. So the next few days will be spent with me rebuilding the systema nd adding a dual boot Redhat system. Now if I am sensible I will load all my software on and use Norton Ghost to burn an image of my C: drive to DVD............ but thats what I promise to do everytime and just never seem to get it done!
Quote:Originally posted by curio

I do regular maintenance checks & have anti virus.

Bye for now.

Let's try and help :

What version of Windows do you have ?
Do you do regular Windows updates as part of maintenance checks ?
Do you do a regular scandisk and defragmenter ?

If you can .. list the following :

Type of Processor ? P I / II / III or IV ? / Celeron ?
Speed ?
Ram ?
Hard Drive size ?
Media Card ? NVIDA / RAID ? Ram ?

Let's try and help by answering as most as you can.

Will be a pleasure to help a fellow patriotic Saffer Wink
I
Just venting some of my anger & frustrations right now.

Pressume that was the end of the kaputer :haha:

Curio come in bokkie .... Wink
Thank You for the replies. I really need to upgrade & I am going to save up to get this done. I have windows 98 second edition. I haven't done windows update but I have visited the update site. Do you recommend that I go to critical updates or recommended updates? It's a guessing game at the moment to see how long I can stay on line before getting cut off or the screen freezes. It's strange as sometimes I can stay on for quite a while & other times I get disconnected after just a few minutes.
Talk about my pc being sensitive!!!
Thanks for trying to help, it is very much appreciated.
It's funny as I wouldn't mind getting cut off now as its almost bedtime but I see I am still on line so will continue for a while.
All my friends here are trying to help me too & giving me suggestions but I think I need to upgrade the whole lot.
Best wishes to you globalbuzzers & cheers again for trying to help. Such a nice website & such nice people. Smile Smile Smile
Thank You for the replies. I really need to upgrade & I am going to save up to get this done. I have windows 98 second edition. I haven't done windows update but I have visited the update site. Do you recommend that I go to critical updates or recommended updates? It's a guessing game at the moment to see how long I can stay on line before getting cut off or the screen freezes. It's strange as sometimes I can stay on for quite a while & other times I get disconnected after just a few minutes.
Talk about my pc being sensitive!!!
Thanks for trying to help, it is very much appreciated.
It's funny as I wouldn't mind getting cut off now as its almost bedtime but I see I am still on line so will continue for a while.
All my friends here are trying to help me too & giving me suggestions but I think I need to upgrade the whole lot.
Best wishes to you globalbuzzers & cheers again for trying to help. Such a nice website & such nice people. Smile Smile Smile

Ahhh I had a "feeling" you where areound Wink

Curio how many hard disk space do you have left ?

If you can remain online do a full win 98 update (Is it SE ? Second Edition) - Win 98 SE is a very stable paltform and with all updates done (not only critical) you should not have to many problems ... but I honestly think there is more problems around than that for you - sad to say Sad
Hi Curio

Sorry to hear of your 'puter problems. I also use Windows 98SE and as FB says it is reasonably stable. To keep my system updated I use a program called "Bigfix". You can get a free download from the following link:-

http://download.bigfix.com/update/bf1760.exe

To add to the advice already offered above why not give it a try. It's a 2.6MB download but I am sure you wont regret it.

I run it every week and then use it to go online to look for updates to any software I have and am currently using. It does a scan of your system then it checks all the library updates on the Internet. Then depending what it finds matching your system it will list all the bug fixes, security patches and general updates for you. You then decide what you want to update (or not) from the list. It couldn't be more simple. It takes all the hassle out of looking for all the updates yourself. It even finds such things as the latest Virus definitions for your virus program. By doing this you can keep your system fine tuned and working properly.

Over the time I have had it, it kept "fixing" Internet Explorer with the many Security Vulnerabilities that seem to be a regular feature. It happened so often that I changed browsers. I now use Opera without any hassles at all now. All this was due to using Bigfix.

Bigfix even detects probelms on your hard disk drive and recommends you run "Defrag" or even worse that you run "Scan Disk". Once again I have managed to keep my system out of trouble.

I hope that you find this helpful and hopefully your system is back up and running properly soon.

Regards

HH
Cool :lovebuzz: :thumbs:
Here again & making the most of it whilst I can.