South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Child passport expiry : AV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(I've posted this elsewhere, so please excuse the duplication if you've seen it. Just really interested in a reply)

Just noted that our son's child passport expires Sept. '07.

Seems a long way off, I know.

However, with the new AV rules we can't apply for UK ILR in Feb '07 when we would have been able to under the 4-year rule. So, the one year extension to our AV will go beyond Sept. '07 and we will need to apply for a full (adult) passport for our son who is now 17 (hope I haven't lost everyone so far).

The SA High Commission is estimating 4 months for a passport to be issued. Suddenly Feb '07 doesn't seem so far off....

Question: Has anyone got experience with applying for an adult passport for a child who came over under a SA child passport as a dependant on AV? I'm interested to know if they return the child passport, because that contains the AV documentation which I'm sure UK Home Affairs will want to see.

Thanks
I am unsure what an AV is but what I do know is that when an important document is in your old / expired / demolished / kids passport - you have the fullest right to keep the passport.

I pressume an AV to be some sort of residency ?

If so : Please get it as soon as possible into the new passport (if he is travelling)

Cheers - hope it helps

:fb:
FlyingBok,

AV = Ancestral Visa. Permission to stay and work in the UK on the basis of a grandparent having being born here. Used to be after 4 years you could apply for indefiinite leave to remain - timing would have been just right on our son's child passport if the &*$ing rules hadn't changed. Now 5 years with everyone already here on AV (and other working visas) having to spend money on applying for an extension and wait another year.

Thanks
Alvon yes, you will get the old one returned, I have to use my expired passport often when returning to the UK as my ILR is in that passport. I would also recommend applying ASAP as Feb aint that far away.

By the way, if your son is now over the age of 16, fingerprints become necessary and he will probably have to go to SA house to have this done.
alvonhumb Wrote:FlyingBok,

AV = Ancestral Visa. Permission to stay and work in the UK on the basis of a grandparent having being born here. Used to be after 4 years you could apply for indefiinite leave to remain - timing would have been just right on our son's child passport if the &*$ing rules hadn't changed. Now 5 years with everyone already here on AV (and other working visas) having to spend money on applying for an extension and wait another year.

Thanks

Ok .. I work with them every day 24-7 but have never seen one so I pressume it is just a "normal" Right of Abode Vignette (yeah that's the right name for that green or red sticker) Wink or of course the most stupid (but most priceless-you can go on the dole with it) little stamp ("Indefinate leave to enter").

All in all - whatever do not give his PP back.
Thanks chaps - will be applying shortly. I believe the process is partcularly slow at the moment.
alvonhumb Wrote:Thanks chaps - will be applying shortly. I believe the process is partcularly slow at the moment.

Depends with who you speak or real info you get.

A guy working for me here got his in 2 months and that was via this and that way.

Mine took 4 weeks at the end of last year.

My daughter's about 5 weeks in April.

Good luck
This passport renewal thing is a crock of crap and I think the major problem lies with the Consulate in London. Adult passports take longer to issue than childrens because the application gets sent back to pretoria and they verify the finger prints etc which takes time. Childrens passports however do not take that long and a woman in Pretoria told me that a child passport is normally turned around withing 2 weeks of them receiving it. Take that applications only get sent back once a week, plus two weeks for turn around, a week back....and allow another week or two, for goodwill...a child passport should only take 6 weeks...I'm waiting nearly 3 months for my sons.....
The last time I was told I had at least a month to wait, the passports had already been back in London two weeks........
So this week, it is time to stir up the pot again......