South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: System Restore wins again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all
Well I don't know what the kids clicked on this time - but they were setting up a new Hotmail account and managed to catch some horrible thing that rebooted a minute after booting, everytime (not Doom, but something similar)...not much you can do there then.

Booted ok in safe mode and had a look at what was wrong, started searching for virus etc, and googling for answers, then remembered System Restore.
If you have WinXP it is well worth switching this on.
It takes a backup of your system files and registry every time you install something, so you can restore back to that point in time.
Being an impatient sort, I cancelled everything and chose my last system restore point, after only about 15 minutes I have my computer back.

To see if it is switched on Cclick on Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools and see if System Restore is in the list, if so it is switched on. Click on it and you can see all your restore points (click left and right through the calendar)
If it isn't, click on Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services then go down the list to System Restore Service, right click on it, properties, set Startup Type to Automatic, click Start, click OK
I was under the impression that viruses designed for indoze rely on system restore to keep placing the deleted virus back after each deletion, due to system restore?

but good to hear things are grand