South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: End of support for:- Windows 98, 98SE, ME & XP SP1.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have just found out that Microsoft will soon be ending support for the above versions......... So, it looks like it is time for me to upgrade to either XP Home edition or XP Professional. I have been quite happy with Windows 98 & as I'm not too "clued up" about computers, I am now wondering which one I should get. Once I decide, will I just have to install the new version over the old one or will I have to delete Windows 98 first?
Also, will I still have everything that I had on the "98" version like my e-mails, music, documents etc?

Sorry for my ignorance, but I thought I would ask you GB's about it & any advice would be much appreciated.
Hi Curio..... the only thing I know is that the best would be XP Professional..... that was the advice I was given. Smile

But some of our experts on here can tell you why and how to do it Smile

Sterkte!
Thanks Pronkertjie for the reply. I am just hoping that once I upgrade, I will still have all or most that I already have on my pc.
Hi Curio

I have been using XP for ages now without much trouble. I have found no need for the proffessional version. I guess if you really need MS office then thats the way to go. As for the upgrade just insert the cd and it will do the rest. You do need to make copies of everything that you want saved from your old version as the new installation will wipe everything off ( I think ) but better be safe than sorry.

PS why not wait for windows vista, due out end of the year me thinks.

good luck :luck:
iceman Wrote:Hi Curio

I have been using XP for ages now without much trouble. I have found no need for the proffessional version. I guess if you really need MS office then thats the way to go. As for the upgrade just insert the cd and it will do the rest. You do need to make copies of everything that you want saved from your old version as the new installation will wipe everything off ( I think ) but better be safe than sorry.

PS why not wait for windows vista, due out end of the year me thinks.

good luck :luck:

Just a correction : If you do an upgrade - do a back up by all means (always a great idea) but it will not wipe any data out (or shall I rather say should not ) Wink

I would also wait for Vista if I where you.

Cheers

:fb:
Windows Vista is a monster of sorts, likes power(the ram kind)...apparently its not much different from Windows XP Home/Pro...they have just made a bigger deal out of the graphics(and therefore much heavier on the system itself) and general layout of the OS...

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winv...ta1_01.asp

http://www.cnet.com.au/software/operatin...627,00.htm
Many thanks for the replies/advice/links.

It is much appreciated.
:thumbs: :thx: Smile
Hi C.

If you're still running Win98 and you haven't upgraded your PC along the way it is probably something like a Pentium 400 with 128 MB ram...?

WinXP will be very slow on here if it runs at all...

Just saying that if you're gonna spend money on a new Windows then you may as well by a decent PC with it already on - for about £350 - or less if you get 2nd hand. (and I'd install my current hard disk as a second drive in the new PC - all your documents immediately to hand)

If upgrading I would definitely export my address book and take a copy of your favourites folder. I'd export all my messages too (you can export the folders) just in case...I know I have had problems in that area in the past but my aging memory can't remember the exact details.

If upgrading then I'd google "upgrading win98 to winxp" - there's lots of walk thru's you can follow.

A.
Thanks Ade. I really appreciate the advice you & everyone else have given, but perhaps I should just take my pc to a computer shop & let them sort it out for me.
Hi again. Just thought I'd let you know that I am a bit :confused: as I have received different advice about this from friends & colleagues. Some are saying that I should definately upgrade & a couple of others have said I needn't bother as long as my current windows version is working, then why bother to change it?????
Are there any other GB'S who are still with "Windows 98" and what's your opinion about all of this?
Pages: 1 2