South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Jake: Why I'm gatvol - 'Jake should quit, parliament chairman says'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SA coach admits he may be on his way to England

June 26, 2006

By Dale Granger & Gary Lemke

Jake WhiteÂ’s tenure as Springbok coach could come to an end as early as next week if the England Rugby Football Union (RFU) offers him a job as its elite director of rugby.

It has been reliably learnt that White is on an impressive shortlist to become the most influential man in England rugby, although London sources maintain that Sir Clive Woodward is the man the RFU want for the position.

However, the irony is that even if Woodward is offered the job, White could still be on his way to England in a coaching role, as the South African commands huge respect within RFU headquarters and enjoys a good relationship with Woodward.

White has admitted his link with England.

“Yes, it’s fair to say that I’m at the crossroads and might not be Springbok coach for much longer,” he said after RFU sources had confirmed their interest in him.

On Friday the RFU will sit down with the shortlist and identity the man they want to approach. If White is offered and accepts a job with the England team, he would have to start work as early as next month.

This would put him in direct opposition to the Springboks, who are in the same group as England in next yearÂ’s World Cup.

The news of WhiteÂ’s job offer comes in the aftermath of a Test defeat against France at Newlands on Saturday. This was WhiteÂ’s first loss on home turf in two-and-a-half years.

By failing to offer White a contract beyond 2007, SA Rugby could be forcing White out of the Springbok job, despite a win percentage of around 70% and a complete turnaround in Bok fortunes.

England is ready to step in and buy him out of his existing deal at a cost of around £100 000. If White does move abroad, word is that Bulls coach Heyneke Meyer and SA Under-21 coach Pieter de Villiers would be favourites to succeed him.

It has emerged that White has been frank with his employers and has told them of EnglandÂ’s interest.

It appears, however, that SA Rugby went behind WhiteÂ’s back to check whether he was in the running for the RFU post. Its own inquiries drew a blank.

SA Rugby has had three months in which to offer White an extension of his contract to 2009.

However, while it has been procrastinating, England has been quick to signal its interest with a job that is worth a minimum of R20 million over four years – nearly four times his current package.

When contacted, SA Rugby Union (Saru) president Oregan Hoskins said SA Rugby was aware that England were interested in White, but was surprised at the speed at which things had moved.

Last week the SA Rugby board failed to make a decision on WhiteÂ’s future as Springbok coach. It appears that Saru vice-president Koos Basson had pointed out that, according to the constitution, the matter would have to be referred to the presidentÂ’s council. It was later announced that the presidentÂ’s council would meet again only on July 12.

“I am prepared to call an emergency meeting this week to clarify the situation as a matter of urgency. And if necessary, there is a possibility I could get a mandate (from the president’s council),” Hoskins said.

White also spoke openly about his frustration of coaching the Springboks.

“I promised myself when I took on the job that I would never lose perspective about what it was all about.

“I like to believe I’ve proven myself in a job that is harder than any rugby coaching position in the world.

“But you can’t keep living on the edge, when even with a 70% win ratio, you’ve got to keep on proving yourself.

“There are times when you feel as if you are walking into a big black hole and there are people who want you to fall into it.

“You know what’s happening and you’ve seen it coming.

“If you knew you had a long-term future, then things could be different and you might be able to select a side by bringing in younger guys. But when you don’t know whether you will still have a job by next Saturday, then you go with the guys you know and have had a relationship with, because you trust those players.

“I’ve been open with the board and there are no hard feelings. But mentally I know there is a right time and a wrong time and I know where I am in life.

“I’ve always believed timing is everything and over the past two years I am happy I was able to succeed in one of the most difficult jobs in international sport.

“I told myself I would leave this job on my own terms and that I would not be forced out.

“So I’m not prepared to go down that hole just for the sake of some lekker fun. I’ve always known that this job would end at some stage, but I would like that to be when it suits me.

“At the same time I have a family in Cape Town and two boys at Bishops, who are happy. So if I went to England I would probably have to go and do the job on my own.

“At Newlands on Saturday, when we were 23-11 up, there were guys turning to me and giving me the thumbs up. At the final whistle many of those same people were booing. I thought to myself: ‘What did I do right for 60 minutes and wrong for 20 minutes to make me a bad coach?’

“There are people in South African rugby who pledge their support, but sometimes you think it is just lip service. If we had won on Saturday they would all have come to the dressing room, stood in a circle and maybe put out a press release saying we’re backing the coach until the World Cup.

“Instead, we lost, and you look around and realise there are some who are still with you, and others who have fled to the hills.

“In England people are prepared to offer you a contract for the next four years. But in South Africa you do not know whether you will be around for the Lions series. I’m not cross about that. In fact I’m quite relaxed,” White said.
is he cracking
No, he is telling it as it is!!
what is the SA parliament agenda ... Is Black a specific race where the 'so-called' coloured population is not seen as 'non white'

yet again the statement above showing the similarity to a previous regime

the bottom line ... simple lip service to justify their position in parliament
TheDuck Wrote:what is the SA parliament agenda ...
the bottom line ... simple lip service to justify their position in parliament
:thumbs:

Make sport a political issue and then in next year's World Cup they can praise their early exit as being at one with Bafana Bafana in their World Cup ambitions :wall:

I suppose the surname of the guy also doesn't do him any favours Rolleyes

Progress?

Regress methinks.. but then again it is another politician making profound statements. Maybe they all attended the same political commentary school like the Security Minister
Big Grin