South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Microwave Roast potatoes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Icecub

Help!

Having my kitchen redone so cooking in microwave, does anybody have a recipe for roast potatoes in a microwave?

Thanks in advance!
Hi Cubbie

Do you have a convection microwave oven?

Icecub

Cheffie Wrote:Hi Cubbie

Do you have a convection microwave oven?

Yes it is a dual convection and grill,
Icecub Wrote:Yes it is a dual convection and grill,

I don't know what the Chef will say..... but I will boil it first.... shake it around in the pot a bit to "fluff" it..... then heat a litle bit of oil in your dish first, put the potatoes in and brush with the hot oil and grill it.

Now let's hear what the :chef: has to say. Smile
To be very honest, I don't cook in a microwave either at home or at work so my answer might not be appropriate to the domestic scene Smile

I know some people swear by the microwave as an indispensable tool - I use mine to soften butter for my toast at home LOL

My mother used to do a roast chicken in a convection microwave with the grill but cannot remember if she ever did the potatoes in it.

I suppose you could put the peeled potatoes in a bowl, a little water, salt and bay leaves, wrap in clingfilm and cook them through until just cooked.

Remove the clingfilm, discard the water residue, remove the potatoes and toss them in a little seasoned flour, melt some butter and return the floured potatoes to the microwave in a deeper container, along with the butter.

Cook on high or with the grill on and stir occasionally.

Hopefully this should give the required look and result, though technically not a traditional roasted potato as we know it.

As I've mentioned, this is my imagination and have not tried this method, but it should work nonetheless.

I'll defer to the microwave pro's who'll be able to provide a better recipe.

Icecub

Cheffie Wrote:To be very honest, I don't cook in a microwave either at home or at work so my answer might not be appropriate to the domestic scene Smile

I know some people swear by the microwave as an indispensable tool - I use mine to soften butter for my toast at home LOL

My mother used to do a roast chicken in a convection microwave with the grill but cannot remember if she ever did the potatoes in it.

I suppose you could put the peeled potatoes in a bowl, a little water, salt and bay leaves, wrap in clingfilm and cook them through until just cooked.

Remove the clingfilm, discard the water residue, remove the potatoes and toss them in a little seasoned flour, melt some butter and return the floured potatoes to the microwave in a deeper container, along with the butter.

Cook on high or with the grill on and stir occasionally.

Hopefully this should give the required look and result, though technically not a traditional roasted potato as we know it.

As I've mentioned, this is my imagination and have not tried this method, but it should work nonetheless.

I'll defer to the microwave pro's who'll be able to provide a better recipe.

Thanks Pronks.... Cool

Thanks G, i will try this, but i am not a great lover of microwave meals myself, and i would boil them first if i had a stove ... :jester: hopefully they will be installed this week.

Cool
Howzit Cubbie

I'd personally forego the cravings of roast potatoes (by settling for an imitation version from a microwave) and go out to some un-explored restaurants and enjoy their seasonal produce.

At least you know when you next make the roast potatoes properly they'll taste that much better Wink

Maybe I have issues with microwaves :wall:
Big Grin
Me no cook in microwave either Smile

Only heat the milk for my cereal

Icecub

Cheffie Wrote:Howzit Cubbie

I'd personally forego the cravings of roast potatoes (by settling for an imitation version from a microwave) and go out to some un-explored restaurants and enjoy their seasonal produce.

At least you know when you next make the roast potatoes properly they'll taste that much better Wink

Maybe I have issues with microwaves :wall:
Big Grin

Cheffie, i agree with going to some unexplored restaurants - but as we are about to go away, we saving all our moola!

The roasties are for my son, as they are just about the only veggies he eats.... :mmm: :mmm:

Fussy buggar...but never mind i bought some microwave chips...Yuk!!