South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Holiday reads i am taking.....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Icecub

Some of the new books i bought for my holiday soon! :hols:

Vanished - Jodi Piccoult

Not being a great lover of the above author, but i did enjoy this book.

The Island - Victoria Hislop
Synopsis

On the brink of a life-changing decision, Alexis Fielding longs to find out about her mother's past. But Sofia has never spoken of it. All she admits to is growing up in a small Cretan village before moving to London. When Alexis decides to visit Crete, however, Sofia gives her daughter a letter to take to an old friend, and promises that through her she will learn more. Arriving in Plaka, Alexis is astonished to see that it lies a stone's throw from the tiny, deserted island of Spinalonga - Greece's former leper colony. Then she finds Fortini, and at last hears the story that Sofia has buried all her life: the tale of her great-grandmother Eleni and her daughters and a family rent by tragedy, war and passion. She discovers how intimately she is connected with the island, and how secrecy holds them all in its powerful grip...

Love on the rocks - Veronica Henry
Synopsis

Bruno Thorne is the self-crowned king of Mariscombe, a faded seaside resort crammed with chip shops and amusement arcades. But things are on the turn because the resort has been picked as a potential holiday hot-spot. Meanwhile, George Law wants to do for Mariscombe what Rick Stein did for Padstowe (even though he's not entirely sure what to do with a red mullet) and, thanks to a last minute cock-up by the estate agent, George outbids Bruno for the rundown Rocks hotel. At last he can realise his dream and, with his gorgeous ex-lingerie model girlfriend Lisa at his side, surely nothing can hold him back...But George hasn't counted on disgruntled locals, infuriating ex-wives...or Bruno Thorne's apparent interest in Lisa. With another splash hit on her hands, bestselling novelist Veronica Henry moves to the seaside and delivers the perfect holiday read.
The Island is one of Richard and Judy's reads and they reviewed it a week ago and it looks rather good - please let us know what it is like.