South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Too many apples....... help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Am in a quandry, have 1 very large bramley apple tree which yields a fair whack of apples, even when the neighbour, the paocher, and the stables have had, plus the people at work, I am still left with kilo's of the stuff. I can only make so many crumbles, pies, sauces, and dutch apple crumbles. What do I do? (only have small freezer)

Help needed on the cox front (2 trees) russot (1 tree) and the 5 damson/plum (still not sure). got a good crop of those for this year. What can I make besides sloe gin and cider?
I am facing a similar problem this year. With an impending abundant harvest we have decided to try our hand at making cider. Maybe that is a solution for you too?
apple jelly, apple juice
if you stew and freeze for future pies, crumbles it will take less place in freezer as well
Make Christmas ornaments..... Smile

1 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce....

Mix well until it sticks together well....

Roll out and cut shapes with a cookie cutter eg. stars, hearts, etc.

Make a hole at the top with a toothpick - big enough to put a thread or a ribbon through. Let it dry. Hang on the Christmas tree or give away for pressies all year round.

:daisy:
Pronkertjie Wrote:Make Christmas ornaments..... Smile

1 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce....

Make a hole at the top with a toothpick - big enough to put a thread or a ribbon through. Let it dry. Hang on the Christmas tree or give away for pressies all year round.

Sounds like an intensely flavoured sweet.
Bushbaby Wrote:Sounds like an intensely flavoured sweet.

lol

It dries hard and smells real Christmassy Smile

Have made many of them in the past and often give it away as a little gift when I speak somewhere Smile

Pronkertjie Wrote:Make Christmas ornaments..... Smile

1 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup applesauce....

Will def give that a try, little one will enjoy making them. - how long do they take to dry (harden)? can icing be put on?
sooibrand Wrote:apple jelly, apple juice
if you stew and freeze for future pies, crumbles it will take less place in freezer as well

Is that apple jelly the wobbly kind or the jam kind?
gwasi Wrote:Will def give that a try, little one will enjoy making them. - how long do they take to dry (harden)? can icing be put on?

Hi gwasi....

They are ornaments and not to be eaten. You can decorate them with glitter glue if you want. Smile

It takes about a day to dry.... You can dry it in a very low oven or just leave out to dry naturally. Your house will smell like cinnamon for a day.... Smile

gwasi Wrote:Is that apple jelly the wobbly kind or the jam kind?

the wobbly jam kind (I only know one kind of apple jelly)
Pages: 1 2