South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The Essence of vanilla
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Icecub

Thought we could learn abit about vanilla......Smile

Vanilla pods

Vanilla, one of the most expensive spices in the world, is the only edible fruit of the orchid family. After years of being stuck in tiny essence bottles, the real thing - vanilla pods - is conquering the kitchens of the world.

It was the Aztecs who discovered vanilla; they collected moist pods that had fallen to the forest floor from the climbing orchid, and used the seeds to flavour chocolate. According to the website http://www.vanilla.com vanilla first left Mexico in the early 1500s. It was originally believed only to have value as a perfume, but by the seventeen century vanilla was used to flavour drinking chocolate, a popular drink amongst the European 'hoi polloi'.

Today, Mexico, Indonesia, Reunion and Madagascar produce the most vanilla in the world. The pods, which are extremely delicate and easily damaged, resemble green beans in shape (and colour, while unripe) - in fact, some people call the pods 'beans'. They remain on the plant until the green pods turn yellow at the tip, when they are harvested by hand and the curing process begins. At this stage they have no smell or taste.

The harvested pods are plunged into baths of boiling water and then left to sweat on wooden frames, wrapped in cloth, to activate the enzymes that create the aroma and unique flavour. They are then placed in ovens that are set at a very low temperature and left for several weeks, until a fine frosting of white crystals appears. This is a sign that the finest flavour has been achieved.

During curing, the pods turn dark brown to black. Although the pods can grow up to 30 cm in length, the best are usually 15 cm long, pliable and a deep chocolate brown colour.

The real thing
Real vanilla is nothing like the artificial flavouring we know as vanilla essence, which is rich, sweet and syrupy. Vanilla extract - the natural extract from the beans - is infinitely preferable to the essence. But the best flavour of all comes from using the vanilla pod with its tiny black seeds and soft pulp.

Vanilla lore
It has been estimated that more than 90% of vanilla used as a flavour or fragrance is synthetic, so make sure you choose the real thing.
When selecting vanilla pods, choose those that are slightly soft, ribbed and pointed at one end, with a frosting of crystals. These will have the best flavour.
Split the pods with a sharp knife and scrape out the seeds and pulp. Add to a milk or cream mixture, with the split pods, and cook over moderate heat until bubbles form around the edge. Bring to the boil and immediately remove the saucepan from the stove (don't allow to boil for more than a few seconds or you'll destroy the delicate flavour). Cover and leave to infuse for 15 minutes. Remove the pods.
If whole pods are used for the infusion, they may be washed and dried thoroughly and used again.
Don't use split or scraped vanilla pods again for cooking; dry them off and place them in a jar of vanilla sugar.
To make your own vanilla 'essence', chop up whole vanilla pods and steep them in vodka or white rum for at least a week. Use the vanilla-flavoured liquid in baking and desserts.
To keep moist pods fresh, wrap them in cling film.

(taken from my recipe book)
Love that stuff!!! Fresh vanilla pods to make proper custard for a bread and butter pudding is divine!!

Thanks for that, Icecub, it was very interesting!:thumbs:
The price of vanilla pods has gone up from 99p in 2001 to over 3 euro in 2004. I buy two, keep one in a bottle of sugar and use the other one to flavour custards - drying it off carefully in between use.
Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003
Interesting.

I've always thrown the pod out 'cause I thought one couldn't re-use it.

What do you do? Rinse it off then leave on a towel or something?

Does one have to ensure that the pod doesn't have any nicks in it to exclude seepage into the pod.

I rinse it off and pat dry with tea towel, leave it out for a while then put it back in its jar. I suspect the pod should be whole or you could run into problems down the line.
Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003
THat's what I was thinking. Don't want the vanilla pod equivalent of salmonella. Sick

I broke (accidentally) the pod I use for the sugar but have decided to continue to use it - the sugar is dry anyway so it should not be a problem.

The sugar is great on pancakes and sprinkled over pastry. It is one of the easiest sweet seasonings you can make.