South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: OK then, Who are the web page experts here?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to set up a simple home page, as my service provider gives some space as part of the deal.

Who can point me towards some self help, or simple resources that I can look at to do this myself?

Thanks folks!!!
Well Jim,

There are many possibilities here, depending on the software you have:

If you want to make your own graphics for the website, then I can recommend either Paint Shop Pro 8 or Photoshop 7. These both allow you to make nice clean looking graphics and word art for your webpage, in a resolution which will not take up too much space on your website. I use Paint Shop Pro 8 for all the webgraphics I make.

As for the webeditors, most programs nowadays are based on the wysiwig principal, ie. What You See Is What You Get. I use two different editors, Frontpage 2002 which is included in the Office 2000 + XP package, and then I also ude Macromedia's Dreamweaver and Fireworks programs.

Frontpage is very easy to use, and can help you have a website up and running in no time.

Dreamweaver is a little more advanced, but has more capabilities than Frontpage....

If you have any questions just ask... Wink
Another thing you can do is find a book called HTML for Dummies.....

This is a very good book to have if you are just starting out in webediting...

sharkattack

When you want to get into Flash then let me know.
Hi Jim

Dunno if your ISP does, but many offer a sitebuilding service where you design your site using the browser (select type of site for a skeleton, then add your images, text and links)
Then, if you want, you can have a look to see what it generated for you, and tinker about with that to start understanding what's going on.

Depends if you want to understand it or just do it, in which case Dreamweaver or Frontpage or whatever will suffice.

There are loads of online tutorials and stuff...http://www.w3schools.com works for me.