South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Help needed with German saussage preparation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yesterday my folks and I traveled down south across the border and one of the stops was Aldi, I cannot believe how cheap they are compared to Denmark, and we went saussage mad...

But now the question has arisen, which is the best way to prepare these saussages, boil, fry or braai ???

The ones I am uncertain about are called:

Mettende - they look like russians, are vacuum sealed but were not in the fridge or freezer.

Can anyone help ?

My mom will be calling me later to tell me the types she bought and I'll pass them onto you when she does...
My mom just called and here is what she bought:

Geflügel-Fleischwors

and

Schinken-Fleischwors

Any ideas anyone ?

We think that the latter is like a pork boerewors but are not sure...

BTW both saussages are very red in skin colour...
Hey Jangar, yeah Aldi is very cheap and most of their products are not bad. The sausage you spoke of sounds abit like Landjager, which is smiliar to a mini version salami. The ones yr mom bought I don't know but am going to Aldi tomorrow and will have a look for you. Will report back then. The one product they make is the bread mixes, these are very good and very cheap, 79 cents for 2 loaves, all you do is add water, let it rise, bake, there you have it. I haven't had a flop yet. So next time you come across the border get some, you won't be disappointed. One thing you will need however is on your mixer you need to have the long curly prongs, the normal prongs don't do the job.
Geflügel-Fleischwors - Chicken Sausage

and

Schinken-Fleischwors - Ham/pork sausage
as for the Mettende....

the closest I could find is Mettwurst which is a smoked sausage kind of...
Jan I have a friend who is german and shops at Aldi in this country, I will ask her tonight and let you know.
Thank you for all the replies Smile
Jangar, I went to see our butcher about the Mettende as we don't have it at our Aldi. It turns out we have another name for it here, you can either eat it cold or hot (if you want to have it hot you just have to heat it in water) but most people have it cold.

The Geflügel (Chicken) and Schinken (Ham) Fleischwors are both cold meats, just slice or put in salads. The red skin just peels off.

Hope this is of help

Enjoy!
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
Jangar, I went to see our butcher about the Mettende as we don't have it at our Aldi. It turns out we have another name for it here, you can either eat it cold or hot (if you want to have it hot you just have to heat it in water) but most people have it cold.

The Geflügel (Chicken) and Schinken (Ham) Fleischwors are both cold meats, just slice or put in salads. The red skin just peels off.

Hope this is of help

Enjoy!

Cool

I'll try the Mettende both ways Smile

Thanx Jillibeans you're a star Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
Cool

I'll try the Mettende both ways Smile

You Continentals do have some strange ways..

I guess trying German sausage must be a change from the British variety huh?
Pages: 1 2