South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: SPYWARE ..... What exactly is it? How does it get on my computer?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Are you having all sorts of problems with your PC like *freezes*, error messages? OR are you getting unwanted emails, lots of irritating pop ups? Browser being hijacked?, strange programmes appearing on your desktop that you never placed there. ??

If you have been experiencing any of the above, chances are you may have SPYWARE on your computer.

For information on what spyware is, and how to diagnose it, see here.

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/your-computer/spyware.htm
Quote:Originally posted by angelbabe
Are you having all sorts of problems with your PC like *freezes*, error messages? OR are you getting unwanted emails, lots of irritating pop ups? Browser being hijacked?, strange programmes appearing on your desktop that you never placed there. ??

If you have been experiencing any of the above, chances are you may have SPYWARE on your computer.

For information on what spyware is, and how to diagnose and fix it, see here.

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/your-computer/spyware.htm

Thank you angelbabe, I will have a look at this tomorrow.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Thank you angelbabe, I will have a look at this tomorrow.

only a pleasure joan. I had serious problems with my pc and I discovered it was all caused by spyware. I got rid of the spyware and now no more problems. This is why I did the article. Smile
only a pleasure joan. I had serious problems with my pc and I discovered it was all caused by spyware. I got rid of the spyware and now no more problems. This is why I did the article. Smile

Thanks for the advice! Another piece of advice that might be of interest some anti spyware software can cause problems.

We ran anti spyware on our pc last night and it kept on coming up with a problem about msn messenger. What was really weird was that we don't have msn installed on this machine. Luckily we found the cause and have sorted it out but anti spyware software is generally good but it can cause other irritating problems.

Daniela

thanks angelbabe.....now I need the cure please Sad
Quote:Originally posted by Daniela
thanks angelbabe.....now I need the cure please Sad

Prevention is better than cure so, don't use M$ Window$ in any version (made by Bi££ Gate$) or the internet :p :jester:
Quote:Originally posted by lols
Thanks for the advice! Another piece of advice that might be of interest some anti spyware software can cause problems.

We ran anti spyware on our pc last night and it kept on coming up with a problem about msn messenger. What was really weird was that we don't have msn installed on this machine. Luckily we found the cause and have sorted it out but anti spyware software is generally good but it can cause other irritating problems.

lols, i had a similar problem with a dialer that was on my pc which there is NO way I installed. I was baffled and after investigation, i found that what happens is sometimes when you download something that looks pretty normal to you, there are in fact all sorts of other badies included. I dont know about you, but when i downloaded things, i never really read the agreements properly. Sometimes you think you are only installing one thing, but different companies work in cahoots and the files you dont want are actually written into the thing you want to install. I had something that actually tried to uninstall my broadband modem so that this dialer could dial up instead of the broadband modem. I took a snaoshot of my start up registry and got someone to look at it. They found this dialer there and unless you are very clued up, it is very easy for stuff to slip by you.

another thing I found out is that some spyware may actually prevent you from running spyware scans. It is smart enough to detect efforts to detect it, and stop them. I have managed to get my pc completely spyware free, but it took the best part of 2 days. I now have a spyware preventer which warns you that the product you are installing contains spyware.

In part two of the article there are different step by step tips on how to sort the problem out and how to prevent it.
when you download something that looks pretty normal to you, there are in fact all sorts of other badies included. I dont know about you, but when i downloaded things, i never really read the agreements properly. Sometimes you think you are only installing one thing, but different companies work in cahoots and the files you dont want are actually written into the thing you want to install.

Here are the net's three worst culprits :

Bonzi Buddy ... that "cute" baboon is bad news ... Sad

Hotbar - bad sad - installs numerous other programs and spyware.

Last but not least : Smiley Central ! Bad bad bad ... :mad:
Thank You Angelbabe. I have just done the download.
Smile
Running the scan at the moment & so far memory has 0.
Registry found 9
Cookies found 3
The main culprits on my pc seem to be Gator & SeekSeek.
I often get unwanted e mail & have been wondering how to fix it.
Sometimes my screen freezes as well so I have to reboot.
I am always willing to know more so thanks again for the tip.
Pages: 1 2