South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Windows 98 Se
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I urgently need a Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) CD. I want to load my new Broadband but it is asking for the Windows disk and with moving etc... I cant put my hands on it.

Please someone, help out here !!

PM if you have it so that I can let you have my postal address.

Many thanks

Heather
Quote:Originally posted by Heather.T
I urgently need a Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) CD. I want to load my new Broadband but it is asking for the Windows disk and with moving etc... I cant put my hands on it.

Please someone, help out here !!

PM if you have it so that I can let you have my postal address.

Many thanks

Heather

have sent u a pm Smile
Heather
There may well be a copy of the windows cd on your pc, it will contain a lot of .cab files, it is often called i386...but may be anything.
If you can find lots of .cab files anywhere, when it asks for the cd click on Browse... then go find the dir with the cabs in and click ok
Good luck
Somebody stole my original.
Have noticed a couple of other cd's have gone missing too.
Makes me heartsore as it could only be people that we have allowed into our home. Whilst I am at work my daughter sometimes has "friends" around & I have told her that certain cd's have gone missing but she is adamant that it's not them!!!
I hope I never have to use my windows 98 SE again.
Hope you get it sorted out soon Heather.T

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by Ade
Heather
There may well be a copy of the windows cd on your pc, it will contain a lot of .cab files, it is often called i386...but may be anything.
If you can find lots of .cab files anywhere, when it asks for the cd click on Browse... then go find the dir with the cabs in and click ok
Good luck

You wont find the *.cab files in the i386 directory. That directory is the install directory used by the Windows NT, 2k and XP families and shouldnt be on a Win98 PC.

HEather do a search for the *.cab files and see if they are found. All you prolly need are the networking drivers and possibly the USB ones if you are using USB to connect your modem.
IF and a big IF ...

You have a big hard drive.

Open a folder under your root directory and call it Win 98 / Win 2K / Win ME / Win Xp and download the whole CD there.

Will sort a lot of troubles out for you.

Not so much needed with WIn Xp these days though.