South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Mobile Phone Scam
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

sharkattack

I have been advised by a good friend that there is a phone scam currently in operation.
A missed call with no answer phone message will appear even if you didn't hear your phone ring. The number showing is 07090 203840. If you call it back it costs £50 per minute!! Please can you pass this on to your friends and colleagues.
Quote:Originally posted by sharkattack
I have been advised by a good friend that there is a phone scam currently in operation.
A missed call with no answer phone message will appear even if you didn't hear your phone ring. The number showing is 07090 203840. If you call it back it costs £50 per minute!! Please can you pass this on to your friends and colleagues.

Yep, I heard about this scam on Wave 105 this morning

sharkattack

50 quid seems a little on the ridiculous side. Makes it sound like an April Fools
50 quid seems a little on the ridiculous side. Makes it sound like an April Fools

Apparently it is true though.....I cant remember what number they said this morning.....its not the one you have quoted.....I never return a call if I dont know who its from anyway!!!!!!
Quote:Originally posted by suep
Apparently it is true though.....I cant remember what number they said this morning.....its not the one you have quoted.....I never return a call if I dont know who its from anyway!!!!!!

Sue the one they said this morning said the the first 4 digits were the same but the last ones always change.

picanin

£50 per minute it aint! OFTEL has some very clear regulations about the maximum which can be charged per minute for these type of calls. The maximum is more likely to be around £2 per minute. What actually happens is you get the dropped call and call back. You are then told that you ahve won a prize and are given an 090* number to call to claim it. By then calling this second number you are likely to run up a bill of a good few quid. However it definitely isnt £50 per minute. If you ahve been cuaght by it complain to OFTEL in most of these cases the victims get their money back.
Picanin is right, I thought the maximum amout was £1.50, but hey £2 is alot less than £50, it's just another windup.

In anycase where would they get the £50 from??, I'm sure the service providers like Orange, T-Mobile, O2 etc would not pay these fraudsters as it would be bad buisness for them.

It's a load of bull!!!!
:haha: Just ANOTHER hoax boys and girls ..

There are plenty :

Free Nokia phones

Free Ericsson phones

Free SAA phones ..

You name it .. al hoaxes !

BEFORE you hit a heart attack or get happy ... first check out this web site if you are prone to believe in this rubbish :

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/hoaxes/hoax.asp

picanin

FB this isnt a hoax as such. This is in fact a scam on the go now. What happens is the marketting company has a list of cell numbers. They let the phone ring once and hang up. Many doff people see the missed call and call the number back. The operator on the other end then tells them they have won a prize and gives the the number to "claim" their prize. The mug then ahs to call this number - an 090* number to get his prize and this is where the high phone bills come as the person is charged around£2 per minute to listen to bulldust before they ehar what they actually won. OFTEL ahs actually fined and closed down two companies for this practice recently. But as one scamster closes so another ten open up!
Cheers Pic's,

I see the GBP 50 pounder as the hoax part of it.

Yes I know they do it - once again we are way to "gullable" peeps to believe in it (sorry I live with Nigerians and I know EXACTLY what a scam is Wink )

Cheers,

Bok
Pages: 1 2