South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Monkfish tails..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Icecub

Cheffie, do you have a recipe for me or any suggestions for it?

Thanks

I found one.....

can i use ordinary bacon slices instead of parma ham....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/databa...4754.shtml

i found some more off this site....if u have a nice one Cheffie, it would be appreciated but i will also try some of these....
Howzit Cubbie

Monkfish tails... hmmm :thumbs:

At the moment we're serving them with braised chicory, fondant potatoes and a light cep foam in the restaurant.

Some questions:

Are they cleaned of all the wings, membrane etc?

Do they have the bone removed?

How big are they (preferably size and in grammes)?

Are they fresh or frozen?

Did you get offered the tails and the cheeks?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Monkfish is also known as poor man's crayfish/ lobster

It's quite a meaty fish, with the cheeks being superb, compared to the tails.

You can trim the tails down and slice into escalopes for easier cooking.

They're versatile to cook with, have a subtle flavour and great texture.

You could thread them on a brochette/ skewer with some scallops and grill them on the BBQ or simply pan fry them/ bake them etc.

At the restaurant we season them, lightly dust in seasoned flour and seal them off in a medium-hot pan with some olive oil. Remove them and bake them for a couple of minutes and serve immediately.

Have you looked here for some ideas:

http://www.chef2chef.net

PS: What volume do you have?

Icecub

Cheffie Wrote:Howzit Cubbie

Monkfish tails... hmmm :thumbs:

At the moment we're serving them with braised chicory, fondant potatoes and a light cep foam in the restaurant.

Some questions:

Are they cleaned of all the wings, membrane etc?
they are frozen at the moment not sure if the big bone is removed, waiting for it to defrost

Do they have the bone removed?

How big are they (preferably size and in grammes)? 0.480kg

Are they fresh or frozen? [frozen- i got them fresh then the fish monger said i could freeze them immediately[/b]

Did you get offered the tails and the cheeks? [b[only had tails[/b]

---------------------------------------------------------------

Monkfish is also known as poor man's crayfish/ lobster

It's quite a meaty fish, with the cheeks being superb, compared to the tails.

You can trim the tails down and slice into escalopes for easier cooking. which is what i want to do..love them cut up

They're versatile to cook with, have a subtle flavour and great texture.

You could thread them on a brochette/ skewer with some scallops and grill them on the BBQ or simply pan fry them/ bake them etc.

At the restaurant we season them, lightly dust in seasoned flour and seal them off in a medium-hot pan with some olive oil. Remove them and bake them for a couple of minutes and serve immediately.

Have you looked here for some ideas:

http://www.chef2chef.net

PS: What volume do you have?

thanks cheffie..
Howzit Cubbie

When you're cleaning them, be careful if the membrane, skin and fins are still on. The Fins have a somewhat nasty spike to them and you need to handle carefully.
Your wastage factor will be around 45-50% hence me asking whether they were cheeks or not. Ask your fishmonger if he can source in the cheeks - they're superb! You might pay a little more, but the end result is less wastage and personally speaking, a better product.

As a caution, if there is a slight 'ammonia smell' about them, discard immediately. They're notorious for 'turning' quickly.

Other than that, enjoy them.. they're versatile and need only the simplest of cooking methods and sauces to complement them.

You could even stuff them (you'll need to wrap them in clingfilm to maintain shape etc if you do).

Have fun and let us know what recipe you chose to do.