South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: So what is on your Autumn reading list ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have several I want to read, but with all our visitors lately I do not seem to have the time to read.

I will be starting "Two little girls in blue" by Mary Higgins Clark - have been wanting to read it for a while, but always seem to find something else I am more in the mood for - but enough drama and chick lit and now onto something a little more suspense and drama as Higgins Clark always brings to a book.

:leaf:

Icecub

I was in Ottakars on Friday, will go look see on Amazon later this week.
I've just started reading "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver.

It's really well written (when you get used to the different narrators - esp. my favourite Adah!) and quite compelling.
Am busy with "Forever Odd" - Dean Koontz and have "The Colorado Kid" by S. King and "Velocity" also by Koontz lined up, and should I manage to finish those there's "Labyrinth" by Kate Mosse and "1610 A Sundial in a Grave" by Mary Gentle as extras, but sadly I don't get to read as much as I used to anymore.

I've never heard of that M.H.C. book but my collection of her books is rather small (I've only got 29 of her books and she's written loads) she is def. one of my faves Big Grin
I've read many a good review on The Poisonwood Bible - and seen it in the library - looks like quite a thick book to get through when you are finished please tell us if it is worth it.

Ja, Jangar - this is her latest I found the last few not as good as her previous but once I am finished this one I will come back and give a review.
OK, I've finished the Poisonwood Bible.
Not being a literary critic, where do I start?
I did enjoy this book, even though it is not the sort of book I usually go for.
I like action and suspense (Wilbur Smith type of books come to mind)
This is not one of those.
It is written by the 4 girls and the mother of the Price family. Therefore you sometimes (although not always) find yourself re-engaging your mind at the start of a new chapter.
It is a fascinating insight into the life of the deep-Africa missionary.
It is quote a poignant story and is a bit of an emotional roller-coaster.
I found the latter stages a bit hard going as they deal more with the political situation in Congo and Africa. Nonetheless I stayed the course and feel better for it.
There are many reviews on the internet about this book, but many of them give away the storyline which I think may spoil it a little for some.
However on the whole a good read and I would recommend it.