South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: His Dark Materials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My attention was drawn to this trilogy of booksdue to the Big Read last year, and am now onto the second one.
Very much like Harry Potter, I am throughly enjoying the books, and wondered what others thought of them.

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by dudette
My attention was drawn to this trilogy of booksdue to the Big Read last year, and am now onto the second one.
Very much like Harry Potter, I am throughly enjoying the books, and wondered what others thought of them.

never seen them advertised..they also full of magic and weird goings on?????? :haha:
Yes, cubbie. Fascinating stuff. Groundbreaking as in Tolkien stuff, but much more readable. Its also supposed to be aimed at the teenage reader, but is more for the more intellectual than HP.
Beware though, it is very anti-Church (the author is a non-Christian, probably an atheist/agnostic?), but if you can get past that, be prepared for a brilliant read!

Icecub

Yes, cubbie. Fascinating stuff. Groundbreaking as in Tolkien stuff, but much more readable. Its also supposed to be aimed at the teenage reader, but is more for the more intellectual than HP.
Beware though, it is very anti-Church (the author is a non-Christian, probably an atheist/agnostic?), but if you can get past that, be prepared for a brilliant read!

hmm...will add that to my ever growing wish list of books....
can u give the names of the books.....Smile how many are there in the collection?
The Trilogy is called His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

1. Northern Lights
2. The Subtle Knife
3. The amber Spyglass

The first of these was published in 1995, and the following books took 2 and then 3 years to come. I would have hated waiting so long for the next instalment!

Icecub

Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003
Absolutely fantastic. Far-far better than Harry Potter, which became terribly predictable after the second book.

His Dark Materials had me in its grip until close to the end of the third and final book. The imagination was out of this world, and I felt that it gave people of all ages a lot to think about.

I hadn't been so transported by a book in a long time.

Religion, relationships, cross-cultural relations, communications, streams of consciousness, the works. Wow!

will look for those books next, when i finally finish the fifth book of harry potter.....Rolleyes
What are his other books like ?

Ruby in the Smoke
The Golden Compass
Lyra's Oxford
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar
What are his other books like ?

Ruby in the Smoke
The Golden Compass
Lyra's Oxford

Sorry to say I haven't read any of them ... the blurb to "Lyra's Oxford" sounds good, but I have such a long list of other books to read first. Sad
Sorry to say I haven't read any of them ... the blurb to "Lyra's Oxford" sounds good, but I have such a long list of other books to read first. Sad

My list at Amazon has grown from 4 to 9 tonight so I guess I can wait a while before ordering those Smile
I've just started reading "Northern Lights" and so far it seems like a good read Big Grin
Pages: 1 2