South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: I'm growing up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My mom is coming over at the end of the month for a 6 week visit, and while I am thrilled to see her again for such a long time, I am starting to feel apprehensive too. Although my mom is really great, and it is lovely to have her around, her help, assistance and companionship comes at a price. As I am getting older and finding my own way in life, I am finding it more and more difficult to accept it and go with the flow when my mother comes back and, assuming I am still the dozy kid of fifteen years ago, will try get me to give my kids less sugar, or make the kids play outdoors more, or to help me be less wasteful in the kitchen or whatever good mothers do.

My daughter told me a few months ago she loves my roast potatoes. That made me feel really good, as I am finally starting to realise I am not still doing the best I can and hoping people won't realise I'm just an amateur at all this - parenting... housekeeping - wifeing - etc etc. I've been an adult for 15 years now and finally I'm starting to feel like one. I've been cooking meals for ages now, and have finally got the hang of cooking rice without burning it, roasting potatoes to just the way I like it, baking banana bread with bananas just this side of the rubbish bin, and having the confidence to argue the point with the traffic warden when I arrive 5 minutes later than my ticket expires.

I'm continually fighting to get my kids to eat more vegetables, do their homework on time, to take care of their appearance, and sometimes I feel I am hopelessly falling short of the mark, but when I overhear my children discusing their parents with their friends, it reminds me of how I viewed my parents at their age, and I am encouraged that I can't be doing too bad a job.

So, here's to many more years of being a grownup for a change; perhaps not too grumpy, but rather like a fun person to be around, but finally coming into my own. And probably when my mom arrives, I'd like to be able to deal with any contentious issues with the tact and wisdom that these situations deserve - After all, my she's been a grown-up so much longer than me ... :cheeky:
dudette Wrote:will try get me to give my kids less sugar, or make the kids play outdoors more, or to help me be less wasteful in the kitchen...

nothing wrong in that!! Big Grin

:luck:

Icecub

Enjoy your Mom, although i hve never felt apprehensive when my Mom comes to visit, she just fits in (i guess we like two peas in a pod) :innocent:

The mere fact that she plays with my son and gets down on the floor and wrestles with him makes my day!

As for growing up, i find i am learning new things everyday - still managing to find my way and jolly proud of myself when i have learnt a new thing!

As for raising kids, i always fear i am doing wrong but it cannot all be bad when he is healthy, chirpy and full of nonsense..

:hartlik:
Icecub Wrote:full of nonsense..

naah .. surely that is a default setting which comes with the delivery package

Big Grin
I saw my friend this who is getting married in SA in January. She spoke to her parents on the phone this morning - a three way conversation - and she was soooo annoyed with her parents. She went: "I am 33 years old and they still want to tell me what to pack and what to do." I just had to laugh and thought of this thread. She said she will never do it with her children. Told her that I want her to write it down and sign it so that I can give it to her children. :haha:

:bunch:

Icecub

TheDuck Wrote:naah .. surely that is a default setting which comes with the delivery package

Big Grin

i cannot find the remote control to shut him up... :yikes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: