South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Bafana must build on Pitso's good work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
By Lucas Radebe

Some people were unhappy that the Nelson Mandela Challenge match was played in London and not somewhere in South Africa. I understand where they are coming from but the most important thing here is that Bafana Bafana got together. The more the team plays, the better. They also need to adapt to different conditions.

Some people were upset that we didn't beat Egypt. I understand how they feel but the important thing is that the players got another match under their belts. We want the results for sure, but preparation against strong opposition like Egypt is very important at this stage. Preparation and experience in tough match situations is vital.

We played well against Egypt. It shows me that the team is gelling. Sure, there are areas that require a lot of attention - up front and at the back for example - but the players are beginning to understand the requirements.

Egypt caught us cold inside three minutes
What they should have learnt from this game was that the first 15 minutes of most matches usually decides whether you're going to win or lose. Later, when the game heats up, it becomes more and more difficult to take control.

Egypt caught us cold inside three minutes and that goal was all that was needed for them to win. You could see that as the match heated up, Bafana Bafana tried in vain to catch up.

We must realise that we can't afford to start on the back foot. We can't wait for the other team to make the first move. We don't have to score an immediate goal. Sometimes you just need to defend for the first 15 minutes.

I always say you have to concentrate on three things from the first whistle:

Start on a high note,

Stick to a tight defence,

Do not concede a goal.

One of our problems is not being able to score. That's why an experienced striker like Benni McCarthy must be involved. At the moment he is the missing link. In the spine of the team, we have a strong defender in Aaron Mokoena and a talented midfielder in Siyabonga Nkosi. With Benni up front, the spine would be complete.

Let's face it, four out of five times Benni will score. With him in the team you get the blend between an established European-based player and your local players who then get a different perspective.

I promise you, a tight defence and Benni up front will make a huge difference to the blend of the team.

We talk of course about our chances in 2010 but we must not forget that we need to have a competitive team ready for 2008 in Ghana. That Cup of Nations is the stepping stone to 2010 and by that stage we must be playing the kind of football we want to be playing in the World Cup. The preparation - and it is important to remember that this applies both on and off the field - is therefore vital.

I think Pitso Mosimane and Khabo Zondo have done a great job as caretaker coaches. When the new head coach comes in next year, it is important that they are there to help him. They know the players and the players relate to them. Carlos Parreira is a great coach but he will need their help.

I am confident that we've got the players to put together a competitive team - but that talent needs to be properly nurtured and managed.