South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Virusses!!! Virusses!!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been attacked....

A few weeks ago I noticed that my PC at home was running a bit slower....

So today I was reading up on viruses and Spyware... and proceeded to download AVG... as I already had Ad Aware on my PC.

I run Zone Alarm and McAffee, but with AVG it picked up some Trojan Horse things and a Belt.exe... There are about 3 more... Stubby A and Dialler something or the other....

As you can see, I am not exactly a Security Boff, but I am desperately looking for a remedy... The AVG cannot fix these virusses.....

HELPPPPPPP PLEASE :bigcry:

I hope I make some sort of sense here....
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
I have been attacked....

A few weeks ago I noticed that my PC at home was running a bit slower....

So today I was reading up on viruses and Spyware... and proceeded to download AVG... as I already had Ad Aware on my PC.

I run Zone Alarm and McAffee, but with AVG it picked up some Trojan Horse things and a Belt.exe... There are about 3 more... Stubby A and Dialler something or the other....

As you can see, I am not exactly a Security Boff, but I am desperately looking for a remedy... The AVG cannot fix these virusses.....

HELPPPPPPP PLEASE :bigcry:

I hope I make some sort of sense here....

ok, for a start, there is a difference between an antivirus and a spyware prog. Antivirus may not pick up spyware bugs, and anti spyware may not pick up viruses. The belt.exe / stubby A is an adware downloader trojan. Follow steps in pm sometimes you have to run spyware busters more than once or even different ones. , and if you still have grief, pm me.
I had a very strange thinh happen tonight. I use Nortons 2003 complete systemworks and anti-virus. I got a Nortons virus-alert block came up suddenly that named a file and saying it was a trojan horse and couldn't be repaired. when i clicked ok and tried to close the alert box it wouldn't let me and then I ran an update. it wouldn't let me update. I was by now in panic mode and phoned my brother who is a bit of a virus boffin.. anyway, he searched for this file in his pc to see if it was a windows file. no such file in his windows .. he talked me through deleting the file from my registery after making a back-up first.. while waiting he searched through Sophos (his AV) and other AV sites and even MS own site.. no such virus, trojan or file listed anywhere..
he then got me to e-mail the file to him. My Nortons warned me that my e-mail was sending an infected file. but the surprising part was his Sophos allowed the e-mail into his pc as not being infected.. He then had me check through my windows/system and this file is a windows-xp system file.. so I have saved the file to a floppy and deleted it from my windows, and everything is running alright without it, so far.. he has reached the conclusion that this is not a virus or a trojan but instead some sort of glitch/fault with Nortons liveupdate.. I wondered if anyone else had come across this in the last 2 days ??? the file is " un32info (exe) or if anyone else has windows XP Home edition and if that file is a part of their ... windows\system32\un32info

Cheers
Fi..
Quote:Originally posted by OrangeGrove
I had a very strange thinh happen tonight. I use Nortons 2003 complete systemworks and anti-virus. I got a Nortons virus-alert block came up suddenly that named a file and saying it was a trojan horse and couldn't be repaired. when i clicked ok and tried to close the alert box it wouldn't let me and then I ran an update. it wouldn't let me update. I was by now in panic mode and phoned my brother who is a bit of a virus boffin.. anyway, he searched for this file in his pc to see if it was a windows file. no such file in his windows .. he talked me through deleting the file from my registery after making a back-up first.. while waiting he searched through Sophos (his AV) and other AV sites and even MS own site.. no such virus, trojan or file listed anywhere..
he then got me to e-mail the file to him. My Nortons warned me that my e-mail was sending an infected file. but the surprising part was his Sophos allowed the e-mail into his pc as not being infected.. He then had me check through my windows/system and this file is a windows-xp system file.. so I have saved the file to a floppy and deleted it from my windows, and everything is running alright without it, so far.. he has reached the conclusion that this is not a virus or a trojan but instead some sort of glitch/fault with Nortons liveupdate.. I wondered if anyone else had come across this in the last 2 days ??? the file is " un32info (exe) or if anyone else has windows XP Home edition and if that file is a part of their ... windows\system32\un32info

Cheers
Fi..

Not for anything...Norton is good for a lot of things PC wise, but has been known to have the problems which you mention...

I run WinXP pro on my pc, and have AVG as antivirus, and BlackIce as Firewall.

Both these little programs have been fantastic so far. The AVG pops up immediately when I get a virus through the net, or when I download infected files from Kazaa.....

I have now added two more small proggies to my list of maintanance utils:

Ad-Aware which removes spyware and other stuff off your pc,

and Registry Mechanic, which can find and fix errors quickly in your registry. It also makes backups. reason why this is a goodie is because it can find the remnants of uninstalled programs etc, that would normally just clog up the registry otherwise...

whirlpool

Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
and Registry Mechanic, which can find and fix errors quickly in your registry. It also makes backups. reason why this is a goodie is because it can find the remnants of uninstalled programs etc, that would normally just clog up the registry otherwise...

Registry Mechanic - new one for me... I could have used it a time or two in the past
Where can I get this Registry Mechanic, and what does it do??

VIRUS CRASH COURSE 101 Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Bean of Love
Where can I get this Registry Mechanic, and what does it do??

VIRUS CRASH COURSE 101 Big Grin

PHLEEEEEEEZ EMPTY your PM BOXIE :haha: or sommer just tell me here what version of windows you have?? Big Grin
Follow this link to the website where I found it. Its only a shareware version, but I really think its worth the registration fee for the full version.

There is also a product discription on the site. Wink

To Registry Mechanic ->
Quote:Originally posted by angelbabe
PHLEEEEEEEZ EMPTY your PM BOXIE :haha: or sommer just tell me here what version of windows you have?? Big Grin

Sorry... I cleared out now... I run Windows XP home
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
Follow this link to the website where I found it. Its only a shareware version, but I really think its worth the registration fee for the full version.

There is also a product discription on the site. Wink

To Registry Mechanic ->

you can also get the trial version here http://download.com.com/3000-2094-10238575.html

but as amen says, in order to get all the functions, you have to pay the registration fee. Often the free trial versions dont fix problems. I have found that I download something that says free, then when it runs the various system checks, it tells you what the prob is, but it wont fix it until you pay.
Pages: 1 2