South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Chiliboy's rapid rise to the Bok captaincy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
He has played no more than five minutes for South Africa, but on Sunday he will captain the national rugby team in a festival match against a World XV in Leicester.

Long-touted as a future Springbok captain, Chiliboy Ralepelle will become the first black African to lead the senior side.

It is an extraordinary rise to the top for the young man from Tzaneen, who at just 20 years also is one of the youngest in history to lead an international rugby team.

The sturdy hooker made his way into the senior national set-up only this season, having represented South Africa at both under-19 and under-21 level.

He captained both sides, taking the under-21s to the final of this year's world championship, where they lost to hosts France.

Regular Bok captain John Smit has been a crucial factor in Ralepelle's rise to prominence having paid part of his school fees at the Pretoria Boys' High where he himself went to school.

"He had a lot to do with my upbringing as a schoolboy and he has helped me a lot," Ralepelle said earlier this year.

"He was always there for me. With any fees or whatever my parents could not afford, he was willing to help.

"He is a big brother, friend, captain and a great leader and mentor. Since then our relationship has grown immensely," he said.

Ralepelle's real first name is Mahlatse ("the blessed one" in Sotho), but it was his grandmother who, for unknown reasons, one day called him Chiliboy.

His Bok teammates simply call him "Chili".

The well-built 95kg hooker grew up in Limpopo and from a young age enjoyed rugby, having learned about the game from his grandfather, who also played rugby in his youth.

He attended small rural schools in the area where his passion for the game grew.

Wanting to learn English, he decided to move to Pretoria, where he was soon spotted as a future first-team player. He later led his school team. He also represented the province at the annual Craven Week.

Ralepelle has yet to start for the Springboks, but made his debut from the bench at his home ground, Loftus Versfeld against the All Blacks in the Tri-Nations earlier this season.

He has been a bench-sitter behind Smit and made only his second appearance last weekend when the Boks beat England 25-14 for the first time in nine years at Twickenham.

Built like a tank, Ralepelle is considered one of the brightest prospects in South Africa.

He will take charge of a side this weekend that includes veterans such as Albert van den Berg (32), Johan Ackermann (36), Danie Rossouw (28), Wikus van Heerden (27) and De Wet Barry (28).

This weekend's match in Leicester is an unofficial Test, which means no caps will be handed out. Gary Botha is expected to take over the captain's armband in the second half. - Sapa-AFP