South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Virus Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had one of my e mails returned, stating there was a ==W32/Netsky.J@mm-- virus in the mail.

Question, what does it do, how does it get in my pc when i've got Norton firewall ?

I'm running a check now to see if i can find and delete it, any advise on this please.

whirlpool

Quote:Originally posted by Piet Bloubul
I had one of my e mails returned, stating there was a ==W32/Netsky.J@mm-- virus in the mail.

Question, what does it do, how does it get in my pc when i've got Norton firewall ?

I'm running a check now to see if i can find and delete it, any advise on this please.
took me three rebuilds to rid myself of viruses, only to find my ISP firewall lets them in.

I picked this up off the web and only after doing this did i finally beat it i was busy fighting netsky, beagle and welchia all at once and i kept re-infecting myself from my backups, after you do that below make sure your virus protection is up to date and active before tackling email or the internet.

- geez good luck

You must go into your virus protection folder and delete anything being held in quarantine. Then do the system restore stuff and run the removal tool and then There is one thing you must do that is not listed in the removal directions. (It seems long but you just have to open many folders to get to the one with the virus still in it.)Here goes: right click on start button and click on "explore", double click on the "c drive", double click on "windows", double click on "system 32, double click on "config", double click on "system profile", double click on "local settings" (if you don't see it, click on "tools", select "folder options", select "view", and click in the box that says to show all hidden folders), double click on "temp internet files", double click on "content.IE5". You will see 4 folders. You must open each of these folders and delete any file called "wkspatch". Then empty your trash and restart your computer. I was having no luck removing this virus until I did this. It hasn't failed yet.

Robbie's answer worked. I deleted all the folders. As for slimjimmy11, try restarting in Safe Mode & then delete.
I just did a virus check, and Norton didn't get anything. I also don't have any viruruses in quarintine.

My pc work fine, but i started looking for this because of the e mail i got, strange though because it said the virus was found in an e mail i've send to this company, they are a estate agent in Australia ??? I never send any e mails to them, or any other estate agents there. Confusing.

whirlpool

Quote:Originally posted by Piet Bloubul
I just did a virus check, and Norton didn't get anything. I also don't have any viruruses in quarintine.

My pc work fine, but i started looking for this because of the e mail i got, strange though because it said the virus was found in an e mail i've send to this company, they are a estate agent in Australia ??? I never send any e mails to them, or any other estate agents there. Confusing.

go here. it is an email worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avc....j@mm.html
Piet, I also have Norton Amtivirus on my pc which I update once a week and have had about six spam mails containing either a worm or a virus and Norton informed me of it and deleted it automatically.
How often do you do a live update and virus scan?
Piet,

What has most likely happened is that someone with your email addy on their comp has the worm and it sent an email to the company from that computer trying to spread itself but pretended it was from you. The company's anti virus not knowning any better replied automatically to who it thinks is the sender i.e. you.

I hopes this explains it.
Quote:Originally posted by Jangar

I hopes this explains it. [/B]

Hey Jangar, thanks for the explanation. I was also wondering about it. Makes sense now.
Cheers.
Quote:Originally posted by curio
Hey Jangar, thanks for the explanation. I was also wondering about it. Makes sense now.
Cheers.

Always a pleasure Smile