South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: One for the Chef re: Mince pies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Merry Christmas on and all... :xmasprep:

I have this problem every time I make mince pies with puff pastry, the lid expands and lifts up (like the hatch on a tank), and the base expands and pushes all the filling out.

They still taste yummy so it hasn't put me off, but how do you make decent mince pies with puff pastry

Answers on a postcard please....
Ade Wrote:I have this problem every time I make mince pies with puff pastry, the lid expands and lifts up (like the hatch on a tank), and the base expands and pushes all the filling out.

They still taste yummy so it hasn't put me off, but how do you make decent mince pies with puff pastry

Hi Ade

I'm confused as to why you use Puff pastry as opposed to Shortcrust pastry.

If it's the lightness you're after, without the heaviness of the shortcrust, then try the recipe in the link below for Soda Water pastry:

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/show...post149408

If you prefer using the puff pastry, it needs to be sealed in correctly, prior to baking. The pastry also needs to be worked with carefully - any over-working will have adverse results.

Hope this helps
cheers chef

what do you mean "sealed in correctly"
I don't work it at all...it comes frozen flat, just roll it a bit flatter
I love puff pastry...much nicer than shortcrust...remins me of those apple pies I used to buy at KFC in the Gardens Centre many moons ago...

I had a look at the recipe you mentioned, but my eyes glazed over when I got to "ice bath"...

I have posted my question in there for others to see the answer too.

:chef:
Howzit Ade

When working with pastry, overworking the dough causes all manner of problems - shrinkage, failure to rise etc being the main ones.

Sealing it in is using a combination of 'forking' and/ or egg wash - egg that has been diluted with the addition of water or milk - to coat the areas needed to be sealed in.

I have a feeling the Soda Water pastry will do the trick. The recipe has been commented on..
cheers, G, will give it a go :chorus:
How'd it turn out?
your memory failing you?

as I said in the Soda Pastry thread, lovely!

it was a bit of a faff to make but turned out a very light pastry, and the pies were still edible a week later.
Apologies if it came across that way.

Was under the impression that first time you made it, it was a mission and you were going to try again using shortcuts..

Wondered how that went and whether it still worked?
np, g

no, I haven't tried again yet...maybe in another 12 months time I will get around to it Big Grin
Ade Wrote:np, g

no, I haven't tried again yet...maybe in another 12 months time I will get around to it Big Grin

Then again if you're only making mince pies with it... you may not realise the true value of the pastry - making it once a year and all Wink

'Hoender Pastei (spl)' is superb with it. A simple Lancashire hot-pot too.

I look forward to seeing your attempts at circumventing the process by using the shortcuts.. Wink
forewarned is forearmed