South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Book Discussion - The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agence
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
by Alexander McCall Smith

On the death of her father, Precious Ramotswe sells all the assets he has spent his lifetime building up to start a Detective Agency in Gabarone.
This book basically introduces Mma Ramotswe to us and gives us a little of her background, to build on for further books about her Detective agency.
I found the prose very easy to read and at times humorous, especially when she tries to follow the advice from her handguide.
What I liked most was the author's refusal to attempt to shape our opinions on a South African legal system. He portrays the people just as they are; wise, ridiculous, greedy, lovestruck, jealous, pompous, and overbearing to name a few.
I found it especially interesting that Alexander Mccall Smith as a white male has managed to capture the African mindset and way of life so well in his writing. (at least from my point of view)

I generally find that I don't enjoy South African books, but I found this book very entertaining and an easy light read.
I would recommend it highly and have booked the next 2 in the series Big Grin
:thumbs:

What were your opinions?
I've read all five and waiting for the next one in the series which only gets published in July this year, I think. I found them to be really easy reading, entertaining and simple. He makes detective work seem so easy and just plain common sense.
I loved the first 2, and have ordered his next 3.

I agree with tisha that they are written so simply, and are wonderful books to read. The first one is fantastic, and creates a good base for all the others.
Bought the secone one, Tears of the Giraffe, still reading "Toorbos" by Dalene Matthee...hope the Tears of the Giraffe will be the same gem as the 1st Ladies detective...
Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003

Dudette, when I read what you said about "Alexander Mccall Smith as a white male has managed to capture the African mindset and way of life so well in his writing" it got me thinking. Is this really the African mindset or is it a white person's view of the African mindset?

I haven't a clue to the answer as I can't profess to have an intimate knowledge or understanding of the (Black) (female) African mindset. However, it does push familiar buttons to the caracature (sp?) of it.

I've wondered the same thing, webtalk Smile

Icecub

(I have to confess to a very low boredom threshold with books. If I think I know where a book is going I jump pages and if I find I'm right lose interest very quickly).:eek:

Dudette, when I read what you said about "Alexander Mccall Smith as a white male has managed to capture the African mindset and way of life so well in his writing" it got me thinking. Is this really the African mindset or is it a white person's view of the African mindset?

I haven't a clue to the answer as I can't profess to have an intimate knowledge or understanding of the (Black) (female) African mindset. However, it does push familiar buttons to the caracature (sp?) of it.

You know i thought that his writing was rather much like the thinking of a child, do u not think so?? very weird....

like u Webtalk, i get bored quickly if it does not capture my interest....Wink
I suppose it all depends on how much one knows about the other person's mindset....

Having worked at a historically disdavantaged university for 21 years, I met so many Africans from various walks of life and can even say I "met" a Prescious too.... very similar in the way the lady detective rambled on about things, how she used to figure things out... this particular lady was the cleaner in my department and her husband was in the police force..

:holmes:
Have read now the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Tears of the Giraffe, and Morality for Beautiful Girls. The only other book in the series available here is The Kalahari Typing School for Men.

What is the title of the 5th book?
I dunno. I got a bit bored after a while. Too 'samey'.

I did like his writing style though. Short stories (tales) within a story. I found that quite clever.

I got bored towards the end of the first one and will only read the second as the first two are on teh reading list for one of my book group meetings.

(I have to confess to a very low boredom threshold with books. If I think I know where a book is going I jump pages and if I find I'm right lose interest very quickly).:eek:

I think it is a bit of both Webtalk. Having said that I did gain insights into the African value system which I never fully appreciated before. Simple things like why cattle are so important to them, the nature of their family/extended family relations, etc. The books are simply written to the point of being boring at times, but they are enjoyable and an easy read for a wet day.
Am about to start book 5, which was delivered today!! Big Grin
Pages: 1 2