South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: The easy way to identify a song....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I got this info from Cheffie the other day:

Type 2580 into your mobile, hold it next to the speaker for a few seconds and a text message will come back and give you the title and artist of the song.

One of my chefs last night showed me and I was hugely impressed - we tend to have a 'pop quiz' with the radio on - names of songs, artists. movies it was in etc - and he blew me away!

Not sure if this makes sense.. but thought you might like to let people know for your music thread (if they and you don't know already) LOL..

Thanx Cheffie :thumbs:

I wish I was in the U.K. so that I could use this as I often have problems identifying newish songs.

Unfortunately I don't know if this only works with radio stations, which is what I think, or with all music sources. I'll have to bring over some "dodgy" MP3s on our next trip to the island to test it out. Smile
That service is called SHAZAM and is available in SA as well as the UK. I cant remember the number that you dial for SA but if you ask at any phone shop.

BBC NEWS REPORT

Mobile phone owners can now use a service that recognises a snatch of a tune and identifies it from a database of 1.6 million songs.
Shazam users call a number, play 15 seconds of whatever song they want to identify and then wait for a text message with the name of the artist and song.

But the service does not come cheap at 50p per successfully-identified song.

Shazam spotted the Dixie Chicks instantly

BBC News Online used the service to identify the Dixie Chicks' Some Days You Gotta Dance, Christina Aguilera and company with Lady Marmelade, and even Jim Reeves' I Love You Because.

The answers came back with seconds of the song being played down the line.

Users can buy the CDs online and see a permanent record of the songs they have "tagged".

The service is likely to appeal to those who become obsessed with snatches of music they hear on television or the radio.

It covers only commercially-available music and will not recognise many specially-written advert themes.

But it will still help bands who allow their music to be used on adverts to sell more records.

The service follows research published last year from the Philips labs in Holland last year on a process called "hashing".

The cryptographic technique used by computers to check they have safely received a message.

It works by comparing chunks of data and then creating codes unique to that message.

Philips announced plans at the time to build its own service with a database of just 100,000 songs.
Jangar Wrote:Unfortunately I don't know if this only works with radio stations, which is what I think, or with all music sources. I'll have to bring over some "dodgy" MP3s on our next trip to the island to test it out. Smile

Tried it on some CD's (I don't have MP3 music) and it works :thumbs:

Great little bit of technology and relatively cheap - around 10p for a result.

Really weird though.. how on earth do they do it? :confused:

Try it over there with your mobile?
Wow! I'm impressed! Tried it with MP3's and it worked :thumbs: