South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Windows XP Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My home PC doesnt start anymore, or it does then it comes up with an error message asking either to start windows in safe mode, last know settings or start windows normaly, and i have tried starting windows by choosing each option individualy and nothing happens, instead i get a darrk blue screen and nothing else.

I dont know what to do, would it help to get a windows start up disk and start windows with that or is there something else i can do, and where can i get a windows startup disk cheap?
Kitten, run a virus check before you do anything else

once you have checked to see whether it is virus free then you can start looking at other aspects.

If the computer doesn't allow you to do this, then start your computer up in Safe Mode
the computer wont even start in safe mode, when you click on that it comes up with loads of writting filling up the whole screen. and then just gets stuck,

we had this problem before and the one day we had a power cut and the pc just came back on and worked, needless to say we didnt turn it off again, but now it was turned off by accident on saturday and its not worked since.

:bigcry: :bigcry:
Hi K, sounds like your pc is in a bit of a mess Sad

You may need to reinstall WindowsXP as the easiest way out of this, and without a cd that could be difficult!
What is the history of the pc?
(where did you get it, and has anything changed recently?)

You may need to get an engineer to look at it...
Hi ade

My pc is about 3 years old, and bought it from new, it is a Compaq,

is there anywhere that i can get the windows xp cd from for cheap, i cant believe the pcs dont come with the cd.
Hi Kitten

I had a compaq a few years ago and it too didn't come with a windows cd, however the salesman told me to call the manufacturer and they would send me the disk for free, which they did. Maybe you can try this avenue. good luck.
...or there may be a restore partition on the disk...Compaq Support should be able to help you.
:thanx: Thanks Guys, my neighbour has now taken my computer and has said he will try fix it for me, but he did say that he might have to use the backup disks that we had to make when we bought the thing, which means all our document, music and pictures will be gone :curse:

Good thing we copied most of it onto my IPOD a couple weeks ago, so wont loose that much.

But thank you all for your help!
You won't necessarily lose everything....

If he can simply re-install windows and get it working you should not lose anything, except programs that you had installed.

However, if he has to reformat your hard disk, then you can wave everything goodbye!
Hi K. Is your neighbour a technical person? If so, ask him if he has a spare Hard drive, which he can use to load WINDOWS XP again, and then use your original drive as a slave drive, so he can copy all the stuff you need (document, pics, etc.) Then format your drive and re-install again. Alternatively, maybe your neigbhour can connect you hard drive to his PC, copy all your stuff and then format and re-install your hard drive.

It's a long way around, but will help to save your pics and stuff. Make sure he has a good anti-virus program first, so any viruses from your hard drive does not corrupt his hard drive.

Advice from here on once you sorted out, would be to copy your pics and stuff to an external hard drive or CD ever so often.

Hope this helps.