South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Striploin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In Denmark we get different cuts of meat to what I'm used to. Tomorrow is Jangar's [SIZE="4"]BIG BIRTHDAY [/SIZE]:yikes: so on Saturday we're having his family around for dinner. We've bought a 4.7kg of beef striploin. Due to the size of this chunk of bull, we'll have to cut it in half so it can fit into our oven. Any suggestions on how to cook this beast please? :mmm:

PS: I have a serious allergy to garlic & Jangar to pepper.
Venus Wrote:[SIZE="4"]BIG BIRTHDAY [/SIZE]

:yeahright:

:viking:

(End of hi-jack)
Serve it raw..
Big Grin

I'll post something more mundane tomorrow/ Sunday Wink
Hi Venus

The striploin is what we commonly know as Sirloin.

If you're planning on roasting it - there is a huge amount of fun you can have with it.

Depending on the size of the family coming over (you normally work on 250-300g raw weight per adult) you might want to do individual portions of steak?

In the recipe section there is one for Sirloin Strindberg which is wonderful. It allows you to cook 'to order' ie Well done/ Med Rare/ etc.. and normally would impress the hell out of anyone when you offer that domestically Wink

Jamjar is allergic to Bell Pepper or black/ white pepper?

A little more feedback please.. and then we'll delve into your recipe suggestions Smile
Black / White pepper :bigcry: Though I can tolerate a bit.

The size of the "slab" allows for about 700 g per person :yikes:

We'd prefer to do it whole (or rather in two pieces) as it's less work.

Will have to look at the recipe suggested as my parents like pieces of charcoal whilst we prefer it to almost still moo, though not kick :p
Thanks for your help, Cheffie, I'll go & have a look. :thumbs: There will be 7 adults + 1 child eating. I know we have far too much meat but we'll cut some off & freeze it. It's an expensive cut of meat but far cheaper than going out for a meal at Danish prices.
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hope it all turns out well Venus - wish I was there to enjoy it with you. Smile

:daisy:[/COLOR]
Venus Wrote:It's an expensive cut of meat but far cheaper than going out for a meal at Danish prices.
I'm sure the old boy would far appreciate you cooking than some chef Wink

As mentioned to Jamjar - you have cut the sirloin in half already.

Trim the 'chain' off, and score the fat. (the fat should be hard, almost white and the meat should have a slightly marbled texture. The colour of the meat should be a deep red and when you depress a finger into it, the meat impression should remain - indicating tenderness.) The fat should be trimmed to a manageable depth and the trimmings can be rendered down for later use as dripping.

The flesh side should have all extraneous sinew, bits of bone residue and excessive fat removed.

As the sirloin is long - one side is connected to the rump - be sure to use the 'rump' side in your roasts and the other half in your steaks.
The rump side is easily distinguished:
Looking lengthways 'through' the meat you will notice an ever increasing 'band' of sinew that will start approx 1/5 of the length from the end (unless you slice the sirloin, you will not see the beginning of this) and gradually increase in prominence. You can remove the sinew using a sharp knife - it does leave a hole in your meat though.

You have my contact details if you need further clarification or advice..
Thank you very much for your assistance, Cheffie. It really was a big help. :thx:

We cut the striploin in half & froze half. I think we did the correct part, according to your instructions. :mmm: I roasted the other half in the oven & borrowed the flavour idea from the Sirloin Strindberg recipe, ie. covering the presentation side with mustard. We can't easily get hot English mustard here so I used honey mustard mixed with some olive oil & mixed herbs. Unfortunately, I had an invasion of in-laws in the kitchen whilst making the jus & it spoilt. :frown: I served the meat with simple roast potatoes & caramalised carrots & snap peas. It was delicious! Everyone tucked in & many had 3rd helpings. :tonguepop:
Glad it all went well..

Now to experiment with the remainder Wink