South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Some new books....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It has been ages since we chatted about what we are reading at present here in the book club, hope everyone has a good one on the go.

I've seen some new titles which might interest some folk, there is a new Jodie Picoult out -

Nineteen minutes by Jodi Picoult

Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella

Step on a Crack by James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

Cross by James Patterson

The Quest by Wilbur Smith

Losing You by Nicci French

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

The Children of Hurin (Hardcover)
by J.R.R. Tolkien (Author), Christopher Tolkien (Editor), Alan Lee (Illustrator)

The Good Husband of Zebra Drive (No 1 Ladies Detective Agency 8) by Alexander McCall Smith

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Here are a few to sink your teeth into, they all look very good especially the J.R.R Tolkein one. A synopsis from Amazon.

Painstakingly restored from Tolkien's manuscripts and presented for the first time as a fully continuous and standalone story, the epic tale of The Children of Hurin will reunite fans of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings with Elves and Men, dragons and Dwarves, eagles and Orcs, and the rich landscape and characters unique to Tolkien. There are tales of Middle-earth from times long before The Lord of the Rings, and the story told in this book is set in the great country that lay beyond the Grey Havens in the West: lands where Treebeard once walked, but which were drowned in the great cataclysm that ended the First Age of the World. In that remote time Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in the vast fortress of Angband, the Hells of Iron, in the North; and the tragedy of Turin and his sister Nienor unfolded within the shadow of the fear of Angband and the war waged by Morgoth against the lands and secret cities of the Elves. Their brief and passionate lives were dominated by the elemental hatred that Morgoth bore them as the children of Hurin, the man who had dared to defy and to scorn him to his face. Against them he sent his most formidable servant, Glaurung, a powerful spirit in the form of a huge wingless dragon of fire. Into this story of brutal conquest and flight, of forest hiding-places and pursuit, of resistance with lessening hope, the Dark Lord and the Dragon enter in direly articulate form. Sardonic and mocking, Glaurung manipulated the fates of Turin and Nienor by lies of diabolic cunning and guile, and the curse of Morgoth was fulfilled. The earliest versions of this story by J.R.R. Tolkien go back to the end of the First World War and the years that followed; but long afterwards, when The Lord of the Rings was finished, he wrote it anew and greatly enlarged it in complexities of motive and character: it became the dominant story in his later work on Middle-earth. But he could not bring it to a final and finished form. In this book Christopher Tolkien has constructed, after long study of the manuscripts, a coherent narrative without any editorial invention.
I have read both the James Patterson books, as well as Brother Odd (I have all 3 with Odd Thomas, they're great books), Shopaholic and Baby, and I have bought (but not yet read, will start it today) The Good Husband of Zebra Drive.

Thanks for the info on the others, I am dead keen to buy loads more books, especially the Joid Piccoult... Confusedmitten:
(I lent a book of hers to a friend of mine who has since gone back to SA - WITH my book. Impressed? I think not!)
I am reading A PIECE OF CAKE a memoir at the moment. Cupcake Brown

The harrowing story of a life filled with pain and wisdom, hope and redemption.

really good so far.
Pampered Wrote:I have read both the James Patterson books, as well as Brother Odd (I have all 3 with Odd Thomas, they're great books), Shopaholic and Baby, and I have bought (but not yet read, will start it today) The Good Husband of Zebra Drive.

Thanks for the info on the others, I am dead keen to buy loads more books, especially the Joid Piccoult... Confusedmitten:
(I lent a book of hers to a friend of mine who has since gone back to SA - WITH my book. Impressed? I think not!)

I knew you would have heard of or even read some of these Smile I cannot wait for the new Jody Picoult book...I have it on order with the library !
Heather.T Wrote:I am reading A PIECE OF CAKE a memoir at the moment. Cupcake Brown

The harrowing story of a life filled with pain and wisdom, hope and redemption.

really good so far.

A very sad but a good read in the way it is written, and she is certainly someone to be in awe of !!!
Busy reading the Busy Husband of Zebra Drive at the moment... Looks good so far... Smile
Have the latest Patricia Cornwall at home. Finding it hard to find books that I like to read and have resorted to re-reading old faves
Reading "Keeping Faith" by Jodi Picoult at the moment - very interesting.
nikkinaz Wrote:A very sad but a good read in the way it is written, and she is certainly someone to be in awe of !!!

You are right !!! I am just surprised that she has any memory at all of her younger years !!
I can't wait to read "Shopaholic & Baby". I've read all the others in the series & they're brilliantly funny! Big Grin