South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: dropped cpu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

SOB ! SOB! I dropped the cpu of my other pc and now it wont switch on ...... IS THERE ANY HOPE
have you tried to open it up and look if there are any loose cabels???

I am thinking of the small thin ones, like the PowerLED which is the little cable/wire that provides poser to the switches etc...

I know this cause our came loose the other day, and when we found it it had jumped off the little pins.

How badly did you drop it??
Quote:Originally posted by Ameniatha
have you tried to open it up and look if there are any loose cabels???

I am thinking of the small thin ones, like the PowerLED which is the little cable/wire that provides poser to the switches etc...

I know this cause our came loose the other day, and when we found it it had jumped off the little pins.

How badly did you drop it??

i have checked for loose cabels..nothing obvious. i picked it up off the desk and it fell from my arms onto the floor .... my broadband modem is also kaput, it fell on that. Sad Sad Sad Sad

i will take it to the local geek and see if anything can be done.
Quote:Originally posted by angelbabe
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

SOB ! SOB! I dropped the cpu of my other pc and now it wont switch on ...... IS THERE ANY HOPE

From my husband another geek, if you drop the cpu it shatters and because its mainly from ceramic it shatters very easily.

Sorry

picanin

Quote:Originally posted by lols
From my husband another geek, if you drop the cpu it shatters and because its mainly from ceramic it shatters very easily.

Sorry

Lols AB isnt actually referring to the actual chip - that couild very often survive a fall onto a carpet. I ahve dropped chips loads of times and they dont break easily. AB dropped the whole system case.

AB many moons ago a slightly agrieved ex decided to torture test my brand new PC with a hammer. I had to throw the case away but the hard drive and motherboard actually survived. So as Amen has pointed out it it may be something less serious............ but then again it may not. And the machine may have gone to PC heaven!

RIP Di's PC!
Quote:Originally posted by picanin
Lols AB isnt actually referring to the actual chip - that couild very often survive a fall onto a carpet. I ahve dropped chips loads of times and they dont break easily. AB dropped the whole system case.

AB many moons ago a slightly agrieved ex decided to torture test my brand new PC with a hammer. I had to throw the case away but the hard drive and motherboard actually survived. So as Amen has pointed out it it may be something less serious............ but then again it may not. And the machine may have gone to PC heaven!

RIP Di's PC!

:bigcry:
Quote:Originally posted by Gaff
Most likely thing to happen is the additional boards move, ie PCI and AGP. The video card (assuming it is not onboard) is the most likely, as thae AGP slot contacts leave little room for error.

Nobody's asked if the fan in the power supply turns, does it?
If not, check cables again.
The power supply itself is the second most likely part to be damaged by a drop, as some of the components are heavy and will seperate from the board.

The third most likely part to be damaged is the hard drive, but as it fell from about 1m and the fall was broken by your modem, it will probably have survived, but you won't know that until you switch on, but it is very unlikely to have been damaged unless it fell just at the wrong angle.

Take the screws out of the expansion cards and move them in and out of the slots, and see if the PSU fan is running.

Try another power cable as well, the fuse may have blown in yours.

absolutely nothing comes on nadda, no power. I have opened it up and nothing looks broken or out of place. Tried another power cable. I am taking it to someone on monday to see what gives.

thanks everyone for your help. Smile