South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Roasting vegetables
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been roasting butternut for ages now... so much more delish than boiled, but recently I've discovered other veggies that are just as nice... parsnips, and echalion shallots/onions Hmmmmm :cloud9: Really good! just brush with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and bake in oven for 30-45 mins. Any other veggies that work well for roasting, cheffie?
dudette Wrote:echalion shallots

Any other veggies that work well for roasting, cheffie?

The shallots you mentioned are commonly known as Banana Shallots. It's easier to remember and your grocer might be more attuned to having it in stock.

Roasting vegetables: The classic Med Veg - Red Onion, Garlic, Aubergine, Courgettes, Bell Peppers etc always do nicely.

Obviously with recommendations.. stick to the seasons.
It helps that the vegetables you are cooking are at their prime, readily available and at their cheapest price.

A variation on roasting would be braising: A combination of roasting and stewing. This can be done on high, medium or low heat. It has the added advantage of having a little liquid (water/ Stock/ Wine) that aids in the cooking process by virtue of steam, poaching and moisturising during the cooking process.
The liquid can be reduced once the cooking has finished, to create a simple, flavoursome sauce as well. Or a base for a soup etc.
Sweet Potatoes are excellent roasted.
Funny we didn't get them in SA, think they come from the Caribbean.
Ade Wrote:Sweet Potatoes are excellent roasted.

What do you mean Ade.... I grew up with sweet potatoes.... but not the orange kind you get here. They are yummy roasted.

You certainly did get them in SA Wink
I remember hating them as a child, now I find them absolutely delicious Smile

Are you not confusing them with the Yam?
well maybe it was just my mum didn't get them...but then in the canteen at work they always has squash (gem & butternut) but no sweet pots

I thought Yam were those whopping great brown banana thingy's, while sweet potatoes are reddish brown and like an elongated potato with pointy ends.
Ade Wrote:well maybe it was just my mum didn't get them...but then in the canteen at work they always has squash (gem & butternut) but no sweet pots

I thought Yam were those whopping great brown banana thingy's, while sweet potatoes are reddish brown and like an elongated potato with pointy ends.

[COLOR="Purple"]I think in SA they are more purple-looking-like. Smile Maybe Cheffie can tell us the difference between sweet potatoes and yams. The ones I can buy at Sainsbury's are always very orangy - and they are called sweet potatoes. The Americans will call them yams. Smile

[/COLOR]
In SA, all I ever saw was the pale flesh variety of sweet potato as we know it.

Over here the 'yellow-white' flesh version is not often seen, with the 'sweeter' orange version in more abundance.

The yam is African in origin, whilst the sweet potato originated in South America.

http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/vegetables/...otato.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1984421
Every now and then I do mixed root vegetables that I roast - potato, parsnip and carrot - sprinkled witha bit of all spice (sparingly, though). I almost always roast my pumpkins, and I have found that steaming fennel a bit, and then roasting (with a touch of olive oil, salt and pepper) for a short while is lovely! I also love to roast whole aubergines - they are lovely.