South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: What does the cross cost you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]

The cross is far and away the most well known Christian symbol. Millions of people wear it around their necks every day. Churches all over will have at least one there to confront you. Alas, this was not ever the case, especially during the first 300 years of Christianity. In fact, it represented such humiliation in that time, that Cicero, the learned Roman, would not speak of the cross – he referred to it as the unfortunate tree. Seneca, the Caesar Nero’s philosopher, was known to remark that crucifixion was the most humiliating form of death penalty, reserved only for the dregs of society. No wonder Paul refers to it as an abomination in 1 Corinthians 1-2. For the Jews and the Greeks it is a folly, a totally unthinkable message!

The cross carries a price

The message of the cross has undergone an amazing transformation through the ages. The first Christians found it nearly impossible to grasp that they would have to take up the cross and carry it to follow Him (Matthew 16:24-25). They knew it represented a death sentence. To carry a cross certainly was not romantic. They were aware that they were treading a path of death and humiliation if they were to personify themselves with Jesus. Mockery and rejection awaited them. Just ask St Paul. If you think Paul was simply a learned theologist who had all sorts of good things to say about Jesus, read 2 Corinthians 11:24-25. He says: “Five times I received at the hands of the Jews forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked: for a night and a day I was adrift at sea.”

If Paul were to stand before you without his shirt, you would be able to see at least 195 large scars all over his body. The Jews inflicted this corporal punishment on him. The whipping of the Romans would have left another 100 scars on his body! No, the cross certainly was not an ornament borne by Paul as a sign of righteousness. The cross was carried at a cost by him. In fact, it cost him everything! Incidentally, what cost does the cross carry in your life?

May this Easter time encourage you to recalculate the cost of the cross.

Prayer

Lord, teach me carry your cross, and not mine!

Teach me to follow You and no-one else

Strip me of myself

Let me pay the price of following You

Allow me to understand afresh what You came to do for my sake

Make me still and small before You

Make all of You children aware of Your sacrifice for our sakes

Amen

[/COLOR]Stephan Joubert - echurch