South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: Afrikaans Readers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Do we have anyone out there who reads in Afrikaans?

Following on from a comment someone else made here, I went and ordered some of Dalene Matthee's books. So far I have read:

Kringe in 'n Bos
Brug van die Esels
Toorbos

Still to read I have

Fiela se Kind
Pieternella van die Kaap

I was unable to get Suster van Eva, the prequel to Pieternella.

It was hard going at first but halfway through the first book the reading got easier and it has to be said, my spoken Afrikaans has improved dramatically since reading these books. The only downside has been a very strong homesickness that has come over me since reading her books - hopefully that will pass in time as well.
Dalene Matthee's books are absolutely amazing.

Another Afrikaans writer you may want to try is Marieta van der Vyfer. Her books are the type that stays with you long after you finished it. Her first book was very very controversial in SA because it was the first Afrikaans book to graphically describe a love making scene - that book's name is "Griet skryf 'n sprokie"
i love reading afrikaans BB. have you finished brug van die esels? i have never heard of it. is it any good?
Quote:Originally posted by sterretjie
i love reading afrikaans BB. have you finished brug van die esels? i have never heard of it. is it any good?

It was a good book - the main character was interesting. I do think though that Dalene is best suited to historical novels, this one good but certainly not one of her best.

If you want a read of it I will be happy to send it over to you.